I have a scholarsh and looking for a supervisor

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Abdulgadr

Post by Abdulgadr » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:28 pm

hello for all
I am Libyan student, under Libyan scholarship that will covered all my tuition fees and medical insurance etc.
I got my bachelor's degree in Civil engineer from (Omar Al-Mukhtar University, Libya) in 2004 &I got my master degree in Industrial & Civil Engineering, from Ukraine in 2009
I am seeking an admission for Ph.D. degree, I would be grateful if I get position in Finland as Ph.D. student in department of civil Eng. or real estate . If you are looking for anything about the study or anything which related to my subject please contact me any one for helping .
I hope to take advantage of your expertise in this area. I look forward to gain admission to complete PhD study in Finland (2017)
Thank you for your cooperation, yours sincerely,

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Swissguy

Re: I have a scholarsh and looking for a supervisor

Post by Swissguy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:40 pm

I think you should complete your studies in your home country until you're able to speak good english. No offense!

Abdulgadr

Post by Abdulgadr » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Swissguy wrote:I think you should complete your studies in your home country until you're able to speak good english. No offense!
thank you for answer but ,
Every man needs a science and education and not a defect in learning English, if I speak English very well , I do not need the help of one, knowing that the Libyan scholarship covers expenses also study English

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:56 pm

I don't even understand exactly what you said in your second post, and I'm a native English speaker. But I think it was a touch haughty. As a supervisor I'd be thinking twice about someone who is perhaps a little arrogant and whose English is unclear.

Why Finland? Pick a country that has far more widespread use of English, or better yet a country with Arabic as the local language.

Querfeldein

Post by Querfeldein » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:00 am

I don't believe a lack of proficiency in English is the problem here, and I have some sympathy for someone who tries to get into academia on a non-standard route, so I'll try to be constructive.

Almost all departments who have PhD positions available will advertise them on their university or departmental websites, in addition to often posting them to job registers such as findaphd.com (although there is some variation, depending on the field).

While I don't think adherence to protocol in the application process is anywhere near as important as some applicants believe, applications for PhD positions are competitive, even if you bring your own funding. You need to demonstrate not only that you are qualified, but also that you are a good fit to the group you want to work with, and the project you want to work on. Hence, you need to be a lot more specific in what you want to do. Please don't assume that you can maximise your chances by casting your net as wide as possible (DO NOT APPLY TO EVERY POSITION FILED UNDER "ENGINEERING" ON FINDAPHD.COM), and please do your own research into who you might want to work with. It may look tedious, but you are aiming for a research position, so it's a pretty basic requirement. Good luck!