When the school starts from August

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
ravisverige

Post by ravisverige » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 pm

and you still haven't got a Place to stay during August- what happens then?
I'm pretty sure there'll be a few (or more) students out there in circumstances like that.
And hotels are expensive. And hostels... I don't even know if it's really common for students to commute from hostels. Really?

I heard there are some students who starts coming to school after September or even October. How can that happen?
Aren't they kicked out if they don't attend their orientations and classes from the beginnning?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: When the school starts from August

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:06 pm

ravisverige wrote:and you still haven't got a Place to stay during August- what happens then?
I'm pretty sure there'll be a few (or more) students out there in circumstances like that.
At least Aalto does arrange emergency accommodation.
ravisverige wrote: And hotels are expensive. And hostels... I don't even know if it's really common for students to commute from hostels. Really?
It does happen.

https://www.omenahotels.com/fi/tarjouks ... anja-2016/
ravisverige wrote: I heard there are some students who starts coming to school after September or even October. How can that happen?
Aren't they kicked out if they don't attend their orientations and classes from the beginnning?
Don't know about UASes but Universities do not have processes to kick people out until their study rights eventually expire (takes years). If orientation courses are not mandatory to take other courses, you can always take them the next year to get them to the register. If you need a residence permit, then you do need credits to renew the permit.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:00 pm

ravisverige wrote:Aren't they kicked out if they don't attend their orientations and classes from the beginnning?
Nope.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Lavinia

Post by Lavinia » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:24 pm

hei, depending on where you are you can apply to emergency housing, or contacting the incoming students office(we have a great social counsellor, and she's always helping people and fixing situations). good luck.