admission fees problems

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Ana93

admission fees problems

Post by Ana93 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:52 am

Hello,

my name is Ana. I have the Albanian citizenship as well as an Italian permanent residence permit as I lived there for 10 years. At the moment, I am living in Finland, since Jannuary of this year, on a type B residence permit.

I would like to continue my master in Finland. In all the Finnish universities is written this:
- a non- EU/EEA citizen having a long- term resident's EU residence permit in Finland (P-EU);
- already residing in Finland or in other EU countries on a permanent basis (P-EU);
- family member of an EU/EEA citizen ( my father is Itali an).
are not required to pay tuition fees.

When I asked to the various universities, that I am interested, some answered me that I don't need to pay (as I have the Italian permanent residence permit), some I need to pay or they don't know yet.

I don't understand if the Finnish universities will recognise my Italian permanent residence permit and the fact that my father is Italian (and supports me financially), as they have explicitly written in their websites or no.

Thank you

admission fees problems

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Swissguy

Re: admission fees problems

Post by Swissguy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:20 am

I'm pretty sure u don't have to pay :)

Ana93

Post by Ana93 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Swissguy wrote:I'm pretty sure u don't have to pay :)
Thank you but I need to prove that. Anyway I am going to apply for the university, no matter if I am going to pay or no.
I understand that for them I am not a normal situation, but if you have written something in your website you should be informed about that situation and give the right answer.
I am pretty sure they wrote that thing because they hoped no person will be in that situation and honestly is a rare situation.
Anyway thank you!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:17 pm

Ana93 wrote: I don't understand if the Finnish universities will recognise my Italian permanent residence permit and the fact that my father is Italian (and supports me financially), as they have explicitly written in their websites or no.
Since your father supports you financially, you are considered a family member under EU law which means tuitions do not apply to you.
Children (or grandchildren!) under 21 or those who are older than 21 but still dependent (e.g. students supported by their parents). The child can be of the EU citizen or of the non-EU citizen. This would include a child from a previous relationship or from before the EU-citizen obtained their citizenship.
https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... ly-member/

Ana93

Post by Ana93 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:51 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Ana93 wrote: I don't understand if the Finnish universities will recognise my Italian permanent residence permit and the fact that my father is Italian (and supports me financially), as they have explicitly written in their websites or no.
Since your father supports you financially, you are considered a family member under EU law which means tuitions do not apply to you.
Children (or grandchildren!) under 21 or those who are older than 21 but still dependent (e.g. students supported by their parents). The child can be of the EU citizen or of the non-EU citizen. This would include a child from a previous relationship or from before the EU-citizen obtained their citizenship.
https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... ly-member/

Thank you for your answer and for the link shared.

Is not required me to pay not only because my father supports me financially, but also because I have an EU long-term residence permit released in Italy.
I saw that in both countries ( Finland and Italy) have the some criteria that a person should fulfill to have that document.
Moreover, the new law for the Finnish universities doesn't specify that the EU long-term residence permit should be released in Finland and not in another country.
I am telling this because some answered me that the EU long- term residence permit ( that I have) should be released in Finland.

I know that a law should be interpreted sometimes but should be logical because EU long-term residence permit is an European document and we are in Europe.

Thank you again and I hope the situation will be better for me and for them.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:52 pm

Ana93 wrote: Is not required me to pay not only because my father supports me financially, but also because I have an EU long-term residence permit released in Italy.
I saw that in both countries ( Finland and Italy) have the some criteria that a person should fulfill to have that document.
Moreover, the new law for the Finnish universities doesn't specify that the EU long-term residence permit should be released in Finland and not in another country.
I am telling this because some answered me that the EU long- term residence permit ( that I have) should be released in Finland.

I know that a law should be interpreted sometimes but should be logical because EU long-term residence permit is an European document and we are in Europe.
The Universities Act requires the permits to be issued by Finland. It's implied by the language and made clear by the government proposal for the act.
Esityksen mukaan lukuvuosimaksuja ei voisi periä myöskään Suomessa vakinaisesti asuvilta opiskelijoilta eli opiskelijoilta, joilla on jatkuva tai pysyvä oleskelulupa tai pitkään oleskelleen kolmannen maan kansalaisen EU-oleskelulupa, eikä edellä mainittujen perheenjäseneltä. Tällaisilla opiskelijoilla on katsottava olevan Suomeen sellaiset siteet, jotka puoltavat maksuttoman koulutuksen ulottamista myös heihin.
https://www.eduskunta.fi/FI/vaski/Halli ... +2015.aspx

This means your Italian permit is not relevant.