Renew student visa problem

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
linknh0k

Post by linknh0k » Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi, I am studying Master degree in Finland. This year I have experienced & diagnosed with severe depression. I was unable to study much (less than 20 credits). Is it possible for me to renew my visa? I have only come to health center for help since the beginning of May because of increasing suicidal thoughts. My symptoms started from around December.

I'm really grateful if anyone who has through the same situation can gave me instruction or advices for renewing my visa. Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Renew student visa problem

Post by rinso » Wed May 24, 2017 5:53 pm

linknh0k wrote:Hi, I am studying Master degree in Finland. This year I have experienced & diagnosed with severe depression. I was unable to study much (less than 20 credits). Is it possible for me to renew my visa? I have only come to health center for help since the beginning of May because of increasing suicidal thoughts. My symptoms started from around December.

I'm really grateful if anyone who has through the same situation can gave me instruction or advices for renewing my visa. Thank you.
As you know 20 credits is not enough.
But you could claim special circumstances. (you need a declaration from your doctor for that I suspect)
A statement from your professor that you were a promising student before December might also help.
The more paperwork you can show, the more chance you have.

But I think your health should be your main concern at the moment.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed May 24, 2017 6:00 pm

This is a very normal problem that immigration personnel see all the time. You don't need to worry at all. You will get your student residence permit renewed.

In the additional information field in the application, write a few non-sobby lines about 3 things: The fact that you haven't been able to do as many ECTSs, why you haven't been doing them, and what is your plan to remedy the situation in the next study semester. Be concise and honest. Don't dwell too much on the little details. Also make sure to attach any notes or papers you have from the doctor.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

linknh0k

Post by linknh0k » Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 pm

rinso wrote:
linknh0k wrote:Hi, I am studying Master degree in Finland. This year I have experienced & diagnosed with severe depression. I was unable to study much (less than 20 credits). Is it possible for me to renew my visa? I have only come to health center for help since the beginning of May because of increasing suicidal thoughts. My symptoms started from around December.

As you know 20 credits is not enough.
But you could claim special circumstances. (you need a declaration from your doctor for that I suspect)
A statement from your professor that you were a promising student before December might also help.
The more paperwork you can show, the more chance you have.

But I think your health should be your main concern at the moment.
My grades are not bad (from 3 to 5) but I am not sure about telling the professor about my situation. It's a personal problem & I don't want them to think that I'm incompetent as a student. But anyway, thank you a lot for your advice :)

linknh0k

Post by linknh0k » Thu May 25, 2017 7:43 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:This is a very normal problem that immigration personnel see all the time. You don't need to worry at all. You will get your student residence permit renewed.

In the additional information field in the application, write a few non-sobby lines about 3 things: The fact that you haven't been able to do as many ECTSs, why you haven't been doing them, and what is your plan to remedy the situation in the next study semester. Be concise and honest. Don't dwell too much on the little details. Also make sure to attach any notes or papers you have from the doctor.
Hi, thank you for your reply :) Sure I will write them something about my situation & plan as in your advice.