Canadian student applying for residence permit

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
dearhoneybee

Post by dearhoneybee » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 am

I was advised that as a Canadian citizen I can spend 90 days visa-free in Finland, and since there is only one embassy in Canada (very far away from where I live), that it is possible to enter the country and apply for my residence permit after arrival. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on this, perhaps experience, to ensure the smoothest application possible. I haven't submitted my application online yet because I haven't found a way to select a Finnish Immigration Point as my service location, so I was just planning on going through paper-application. I'll be attending school in Rovaniemi so I've made an appointment with the immigration office there for 2 weeks after I arrive (the earliest appointment). Really, I just need some reassurance that I will be able to enter the country, and not get deported.
Cheers!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Canadian student applying for residence permit

Post by heretostay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:26 pm

First residence permit must be applied for in your country of residence. You risk compromising your study place of you do not go through the correct channels.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Actually, I assume you plan to fly in a one way ticket, right? The airline will not let you board without showing a residence permit or return ticket that has you coming back within 90 days. You should be able to apply for a residence permit at a Finnish consulate. Those are in most major Canadian cities. You don't have to go to Ottawa.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:31 pm

heretostay wrote:You should be able to apply for a residence permit at a Finnish consulate. Those are in most major Canadian cities. You don't have to go to Ottawa.
There are no not. Honorary consulates do not count.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:32 pm

heretostay wrote:First residence permit must be applied for in your country of residence. You risk compromising your study place of you do not go through the correct channels.
Not exactly true. There are a bunch of exemptions in section 49 of the Aliens Act. However, safest would be to apply abroad.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 040301.pdf

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
heretostay wrote:First residence permit must be applied for in your country of residence. You risk compromising your study place of you do not go through the correct channels.
Not exactly true. There are a bunch of exemptions in section 49 of the Aliens Act. However, safest would be to apply abroad.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 040301.pdf

Thanks for the information and link. Maybe it is possible, but I personally would not risk it if I were in the OP's shoes. He/She can take the information and make that decision for themselves. It would seem unreasonable to deny it in my eyes but I don't know how this works in reality. Maybe someone who has experienced this situation will read and chime in.

This is the info I was referring to: "As a rule, you must submit the application for your first residence permit to the Finnish embassy in your home country before entering Finland. You cannot apply for a residence permit at a mission of another country. A fee will be charged for the processing of the application."

http://www.migri.fi/our_services/faq/residence_permits