Nursing degree - English or Finnish

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
suhokim

Post by suhokim » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:15 am

Been reading posts on this forum about studying to be a nurse as a foreigner. The language barrier seems impossible to break - something I fully understand after living here for six years.

In any case, a few questions still:
1) Any success story on foreigner with taso-B Finnish skill getting into sairaanhoitaja AMK programme? How to survive the interview in Finnish...?
2) monimuotototeutus OR päivätoteutus? For practical AMK programmes, is it wise to choose distance learning?
3) If I graduate from an English nursing programme, is it likely for me to secure at least a stable lähihoitaja position in PK-seutu?
4) Maahanmuuttajataustaisten sairaanhoitajien kielikoulutus - is it still available anywhere?
5) How brutal is age discrimination? For a 30+ yo nursing graduate to find her first job in the field, if she hasn't had a child, would it be assumed that she will take maternity leave as soon as she gets a perm. job? Would it be wiser to have children before graduation, so that it seems I am more competitive for the job market?

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

hackoff

Re: Nursing degree - English or Finnish

Post by hackoff » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi
Interested in hearing your updates as I am going through exactly the same things.

necadam

Post by necadam » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:53 am

After 6 years of staying here not being able to have speak reasonable Finnish – maybe you should try harder with that first. How much Finnish text do you read per week on average?

Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi, really want to study in Finland (nursing) . Is it compulsory to write the entrance exam in Finnish language if my studies will be conducted in English 😥?

blimey

Post by blimey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi Martha. This might depend on the UAS but likely the exam will be in English with a portion that tests your language abilities (the test that I took included an English and then Swedish or Finnish portion). The problem you will encounter is that the clinicals will be in either Finnish or Swedish which usually gives you roughly two semesters to improve your language abilities and intensive Swedish/Finnish lessons are not included in the programs. I mention Swedish as a possibility but this is really only possible in the two UAS progroams in Ostrobothnia (in Vaasa and Kokkola). Having said that the program that I am in also doesn't seem to take the language requirement so seriously, there is a presumption most of the students in the English programs will go into geriatric/elderly care as these positions are difficult to fill and generally less desirable (and as such more lax on the language requirements), if you have higher aspirations than the English programs can work for you but you will need to spend a considerable amount of time independently working on your Finnish.

vinita.perttila

Post by vinita.perttila » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:38 pm

hi
i just read your forum , i wanted to know did u apply for nursing course English in any of the universities in finland ?
If u got through the entrance test then can you help me what sort of entrance test u had especially for finnish language , was there any general aptitude test too for entrance exam ?

Thank u in advance