Problem regarding Residence permit renewal

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am

Problem regarding Residence permit renewal

Post by sd1990 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:08 am

I have 26 ECTS for the 2nd year of my studies and upon my RP renewal application, I received the following reply:
"One of the main requirements for granting a residence permit on the grounds of study is that the student completes at least 5 credits per a month which makes 45 credits per an academic year.
Please, provide a new transcript of records. The Finish Immigration Service takes into consideration only completed exams, not the ones you have intension to
Please, provide a written (signed and dated) clarification on reasons of your academic performance and estimation on your graduation from your supervisor at your educational institute."

I have started my masters thesis from this month.
What should I do now?

Problem regarding Residence permit renewal


Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Problem regarding Residence permit renewal

Post by Daniel2016 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 am

How is it going now? Probably I can give some advice.

Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Re: Problem regarding Residence permit renewal

Post by martimasters » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:28 pm

How did you resolve this case? The credit requirement immigration is talking about is for a bachelor degree. Post-graduate studies are different. The most credits I every took in 1 year at Turku University was 30 credits for my master's degree. It was a 2-year program.

Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Re: Problem regarding Residence permit renewal

Post by ruusu25 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:30 am

This reply probably comes too late, but working on a thesis is considered a special circumstance. At least back when the police handled residence permits, you just needed to provide a signed and stamped letter from your program's department secretary stating that your thesis is in progress and that you will continue to work on it for the coming academic year. That would exempt you from the annual course credit requirement, as the thesis itself is worth 30-50 ECTS (depending on your program). Hopefully Migri's policy is the same as Poliisi's.

Post Reply