US Citizens Applying for Residence Permit

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
bioinfinland

Post by bioinfinland » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:11 am

Hello, I was wondering if there was anyone else here who is a US citizen applying for a residence permit based on studies beginning in August/September 2018.

I have submitted all the documents and my application on EnterFinland just updated saying they verified my identity, and are now processing my application.

My problem is that on the website, it says my application may take until 22 August to process. How is this reasonable? I submitted my residence permit and proved my identity literally the quickest I possibly could, because I had to wait until I received my diploma from my US university. I submitted my application on that day, then did the earliest possible appointment to prove my identity.

But now it's saying that my application might not be processed until 22 August, and then I have to wait to receive my residence permit card, book a flight to Finland, arrange housing and everything, all to make it in time for student orientation on the last week of August. If this is the case, I have no idea how I am going to manage this.

Are there any other US citizens here who have recently applied for residence permits based on studies? If so, how long did it take you to receive your residence permit, or how long has it been processing? I just don't get it... I submitted my residence permit application and proved my identity as quickly as I possibly could, and it's still looking like I may not be able to get it in time for when my studies begin.

I know that I could just fly there first on a visitor's visa, but then how will I receive my residence permit, when I have given told them to send it to my address in the US?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: US Citizens Applying for Residence Permit

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:39 am

bioinfinland wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:11 am
My problem is that on the website, it says my application may take until 22 August to process. How is this reasonable? I submitted my residence permit and proved my identity literally the quickest I possibly could, because I had to wait until I received my diploma from my US university. I submitted my application on that day, then did the earliest possible appointment to prove my identity.
Not every outcome is reasonable sadly. However, student applications do get priority since they get processed as "urgent" by default.
bioinfinland wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:11 am
But now it's saying that my application might not be processed until 22 August, and then I have to wait to receive my residence permit card, book a flight to Finland, arrange housing and everything, all to make it in time for student orientation on the last week of August. If this is the case, I have no idea how I am going to manage this.

Are there any other US citizens here who have recently applied for residence permits based on studies? If so, how long did it take you to receive your residence permit, or how long has it been processing? I just don't get it... I submitted my residence permit application and proved my identity as quickly as I possibly could, and it's still looking like I may not be able to get it in time for when my studies begin.

I know that I could just fly there first on a visitor's visa, but then how will I receive my residence permit, when I have given told them to send it to my address in the US?
You can have someone in the US mail the card to you in Finland. You should be able to change the delivery address by contacting Migri if no-one can open the mail in your current address for you.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 am

You cannot change the address of card delivery, if you applied thru embassy will be sent there. You can give an authorization form for someone to pick the card for you. Migri will not send it to other address.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:40 pm

tavastia wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 am
You cannot change the address of card delivery, if you applied thru embassy will be sent there. You can give an authorization form for someone to pick the card for you. Migri will not send it to other address.
Some embassies/consulates will ship to your home for an additional fee. The USA is one of them but this is definitely not the norm so it isn’t advertised.

cmeil

Post by cmeil » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:07 am

So I had submitted my forms about a month ago, but just went in yesterday (DC) to prove my identity. I received a positive response when I woke up this morning, and just have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive.