schools admitting 6 years to Primary year 1

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
senthilaxes

Post by senthilaxes » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:03 am

Hello,
I am looking for my child's admission to a Primary school in Finland. My child is 6 years old and he is studying Primary Year 1 (also called First Standard or Grade 1 or P1 or PYP year one) with English medium of Instructions in India. We are planning to relocate to Helsinki in the coming months.

We noticed that schools in Finland admit a child to P1 only when the child turns seven. Are there any exceptions for foreign nationals such as us?

1) Will my child be able to join same Primary Year 1 in Helsinki or nearby in this academic year itself ?
2) If not, will he be able to join Primary Year 2 in Helsinki or nearby in the next academic year?

We observed that International School of Helsinki admits 6 year old children to P1 and also in between the academic year but the fees is unaffordable for me.
What are the other schools or options?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: schools admitting 6 years to Primary year 1

Post by tavastia » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:04 pm

The best is to contact, already before you move, the school coordinator from the city where you will stay. They will advise and arrange everything for you.

senthilaxes

Post by senthilaxes » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Hello tavastia,
Does the school coordinator mean a co-ordinator from Education Department of a municipality? Or does it mean a co-ordinator from a school.
Thank you for your kind response.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:10 pm

From municipality.

senthilaxes

Post by senthilaxes » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello tavastia,
Thank you very much.

Suvituuli

Post by Suvituuli » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi!

You should definitely be able to get a school place for your 6-year-old son. Depending on where in Helsinki you are planning to live you have several options.

For instance:
- Ressun peruskoulu could be possible (IB program, a public school, close to downtown).
- The English school of Helsinki (follows British curriculum)

Also in Maunula (neighborhood in Helsinki) there's a school where it's possible to study in English although the school follows Finnish curriculum.

If you are considering living in Espoo or Vantaa, then both cities have an international school. The International school of Helsinki is one of the few fee-paying schools (comprehensive education)in the country and as far as I know it's clearly the most expensive one.