Salary for Master Thesis in Finland (Aalto)

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
HubertPut1

Post by HubertPut1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 am

Hello everyone!
I have a question regarding remuneration for Master Thesis in Finland.
I am studying in Lisbon but I can conduct a Master Thesis in Aalto University. One of the researchers asked me how much funding do I need from them to live in Finland. He also asked to send him a total estimated budget of my stay in Finland (Supposedly I will stay there 5-6 months).

How much they can pay me? What is the normal amount, that they pay for Master Thesis? Taking into account that my revenues without salary will equal to 1250 euros, how much can I ask for, in your opinion?
Thank you very much in advance! :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Swissguy

Re: Salary for Master Thesis in Finland (Aalto)

Post by Swissguy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:32 am

If I remember right, the state recommends you to have 650€ per month as a student, so that times 6 would be 3900€. That's ofc gonna be higher if you organise your own housing and don't live in a student appartment. Realistic would be maybe 1000€ per month.

necadam

Re: Salary for Master Thesis in Finland (Aalto)

Post by necadam » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 pm

HubertPut1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 am
Hello everyone!
I have a question regarding remuneration for Master Thesis in Finland.
I am studying in Lisbon but I can conduct a Master Thesis in Aalto University. One of the researchers asked me how much funding do I need from them to live in Finland. He also asked to send him a total estimated budget of my stay in Finland (Supposedly I will stay there 5-6 months).

How much they can pay me? What is the normal amount, that they pay for Master Thesis? Taking into account that my revenues without salary will equal to 1250 euros, how much can I ask for, in your opinion?
Thank you very much in advance! :)
I was getting paid some 1970 € brutto five years ago... It hasn't changed much since then, you can check yourself from TES (english version here). Actually, there it reads that at the lowest levels, i.e. Tehtävänvaativuustaso 1, Suorituskategoria I (that is what a "Master Thesis worker" at Aalto usually gets), the range is currently 1 959,72 € – 2 200,06 €.