Job, Apartment and Language course: Irish guy needs help!

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Dermot

Post by Dermot » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:47 pm

Hi guys,
great site, ive been viewing it for the past few days and already have learned a great deal. The story is, that my Finnish girlfriend and I have moved from Cork City, Ireland, to Finland. We are currently staying in her parents' place in Viitasaari, and I have applied for a residence permit. However, i do not have a BA nor an MA. Also, i have no savings. Yup, Im in the deep end here :wink:
Jenni is a ceramics/visual artist and I am a musician (guitarist, vocalist, singer/songwriter) who is looking for good players to form a band with. Our goal is to move to Helsinki and rent an apartment, get some sort of job related to our interests and also I want to learn the language.

Does anyone have any information regarding any of the above?

We are both very ambitious people, especially when it comes to our respective fields of art and music. However, I have not much working experience, and I know qualifications are widely held as necessary in most job fields in Finland, alas, qualifications, i do not have.

Any replies to my post would be most appreciated. We need to have an income and to be independent: therefore having our own apartment, and being able to afford to buy food is a must.

-Dermot

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:11 pm

Well, the cold truth is you both need to get "a real job" and forget about fiddling and potting if you want to come to Hel. Those kind of jobs might be possible to eke out a living if you live there in Viitasaari at the farm, but an apartment rent in Helsinki is about 500 -800 euros a month.

There are a few guys in the music business that do sporadically drop in, and somebody always knows somebody, but even you could play humppa on a harmonica, making a living as a musician is... err... wouldn't call that a living. And my father has been making art some 30 years and he always told me "maybe one in 1000 artists in Finland makes a living with art alone"

If you don't have a degree, as studying in Finland is free, why not apply to a polytechnic or even a vocational school to an English program (there are a few music degrees, albeit not in English), this way you'd atleast be entitled to a student flat which might then make it possible to check out all other possibilities.

To think of it, there are a few artists communes about, but I need to meditate on this firt as I need to remember who when where.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:16 am

My advice much along the lines of Hanks..Get a job that pays for you food/roof and make a bit on the side with your music and arts untill you get "discovered"...You could try the Irish Pubs as a bar man..the Finnish vocabulary for serving beer is not too demanding..some might even let you sing Whisky in a Jar etc etc for a few extra Euros.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:31 am

Or then give you a fiver for *not* to sing. :mrgreen:

In the summer you can always take to the street playing. You don't need a permit any more, just a schedule from the city (so theres no fights over streetcorners).
Cheers, Hank W.

Dermot

Thanks

Post by Dermot » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:51 am

Thanks for the ideas guys. I wasn't sure if there were any courses in polytechnics or vocational schools done in English. Would you have any information on those? I don't suppose there would be a maintaince grant from the government for studying for non-nationals? Im guessing that it's too late to apply to any college for this year? If so, do you have any recommendations for what kind of jobs would be easiest for a person in my situation to get into?
Thanks again for your help.

-Dermot

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:05 am

I have a foreign friend who's a professional musician in Finland. Saying that he's been here about six years, studied at Berkley and works round the clock to earn a living. He teaches at the Pop & Jazz conservatory and also teaches privately.

If you want to study music, the Pop & Jazz conservatory is one place. There's also the Sibelius Academy, but you have to be of a damn good standard to get in there. The Sibelius Academy does degree courses in English, although I'm not sure how much of the Pop & Jazz conservatory courses are in English. You'd have to give them a ring.

http://www.popjazz.net/
http://www2.siba.fi/welcome-eng.html

As Hank and Peter said, chances are that you're going to have to get some sort of other job to supliment your income, at least until your name gets passed around. If the day comes when I can start playing my drums for a living - great! But, until then, it's 9 - 5 for me.

You could always give private lessons to earn a bit of extra cash.

Stu

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:14 am

Just as a note, if you haven't done too many if any levels, there is a difference in getting to the poly and uni. For the Uni you basically need to know the stuff you are going to go study and read 2-10 books by heart. Many people try in vain several years to get in. Polytechnics have an "idiot test" and an english test. Basically they require you have finished ninth grade.
Cheers, Hank W.

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:12 pm

Hey Dermot,
I just arrived here also, and am also from Ireland. I looked for a job for almost a year before I got one. As the guys said, maybe getting some sort of job to make ends meet is possibly the best option.

If you thought about going back into education I'd suggest that you contact your VEC back in Cork or Cork County Council. If you're over 23 and you want to go back into education there are opportunities for financial support from the Irish Department of Education. Whether or not this extends to abroad is another story entirely.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/

I briefly flirted with going back into education here myself, but you must be resident here for circa 2 years in order to qualify for the same benefits as natives Finns.
Who is this dog Franks?

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:05 pm

Lets get back to basic..The language problem..
Start working on that and NOW...
She that inticed you here now has to help..
Two hours a day .she speaks Finnish to you ..simple stuff..write a list of phrases you want to learn..ten a day...she corrects your crap pronunciation. Practice on her parents an see if the smile or laugh.
Then try some in the local shop..you go shoping with her and she only help when you get stuck.
You go to the Suomalainen Kirjakauppa and buy a basic Intro book.."From Start to Finnish" by Leila White is a good primer.....work at it Paddy..then find you way down to Helsinki and walk into our pub and say.."Ostan kaikille oluet".. olet aina tervetulut.
'Good luck´

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:34 pm

Peter Floyd wrote: walk into our pub and say.."Ostan kaikille oluet".. olet aina tervetulut.
´

only let us all know youre going first

(Id like to buy everyone a beer!) :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:43 pm

Peter Floyd wrote:Practice on her parents an see if the smile or laugh.
´
To deprogram yourself from the English, just take the morning newspaper and start reading out loud. You don't have to understand what it says, just so your inlaws understand what you read. It'll be far more easier then to start getting a visual image how the word is written when you start hunting words in the dictionaries.

P.S. was in for a pint at "Dubliner's" ...they hade some band with a big drum and tin whistle... I guess that was authentic enough. I got a seat as far as possible :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

Dermot

Thank you so much

Post by Dermot » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:30 pm

Guys, I have to say a big thank you to all of you. Im going to search for information tomorrow (have to watch Pori Jazz 2002 on the tv now) :)

Im blown away by your kindness and helpfullness. In fact, im gonna compose a short, yet earnest, thank ou speech right now...you can hum your own favourite tune to the meter of the words.

Thanks to 'Handsome': So you're a drummer...what style do ya prefer..would you like to jam sometime?

Thanks to Hank: For info on education. Also i applaude your seating arrangements at 'Dubliners', that would have been my option too!

Thanks to Peter: for your info, and for your kind offer to have a drink in your pub, i shall defnitely take you up on that.

Thanks to Olly: that website list was extensive and i aim to navigate the twists and turns of the myriad of paths of information as soon as possible.

Thanks to JCooper: for the advice.

Thanks to Sara: for the little translation she did for me.

I know it took all of you time to write down the advice and addresses you gave me, and i really appreciate it.

OK, Im missing Pori Jazz on the tv...im gonna hop off the computer now...but i do hope that i can discuss more with you all soon, and perhaps in a few weeks or months' time, we could have a meeting, and i could play you a song.

-Dermot

Handsome

Re: Thank you so much

Post by Handsome » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:47 pm

Dermot wrote:Thanks to 'Handsome': So you're a drummer...what style do ya prefer..would you like to jam sometime?
Absolutely! I'll PM you.

Stu