Looking for a job in the audiovisual/languages related field

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
demian

Post by demian » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:00 pm

Hi again!

This time I am the one seeking some tips/help.
I'm a half Spanish, half Portuguese guy who's lived in Turku for some 8 months (with my -Finnish, needless to say- girlfriend) and went back home for the summer after what I thought was a reasonably long and unsucessful quest for work. I find this forum really helpful (and amusing, at times).

I'm considering moving back to Finland (Helsinki) within this month or so and would love it if i could have any info on how to get some job/work experience (through the unemployment office, i.e. that'd be ok too) either in the Film/TV related world or/and the languages/translation/proof reading, etc. field. Any insider's information?? (Networking, that needed evil!)

I have a British BA (Bachelor of Arts) in Film & Video and speak several (latin rooted) languages (to different degrees. No languages diplomas other than those at school and a French unversity one -let alone translation diplomas). I DO know had I a Maasteri degree (i.e. a university degree by Finnish standards), my chances of landing in a field related job would be a bit higher. Though still no Finnish skills to bring them to life.

But then again, I'm just a recent graduate with no professional career-related experience on my CV.

At college I learnt film and video editing (i.e. post production. on Softimage -Avid owned- and premiere, the latter one not very highly regarded, but once you get the handle of the mechanics all work pretty much the same way).
Also academically experienced on camera (Beta Sp, DV, and 16/35 mm) and lighting.

I have also some experience with the world of conference organising (IT related) on the logistics side of it. And some in written translation (English-Spanish and English-Portuguese-English) and oral, informal (i.e. not official, simultaneous translating, but casual -though accurate and useful!- one during the conferences events: French, Portuguese and Italian).

From my experience in Turku (where there seemed to be less demand for these as well as less offer) it's damn hard to get any work of this kind with no Finnish skills, so I know I'm being a bit demanding. But I hope (if any) my chances in the big town might be somehow bigger. (most likely i'll have to lower -even more- my expectations, I know! no problem with that.)

I'm keen on leaning the language (this time seriously), and plan on taking some course like the one Helsinki University has for beginners. But I have a question relating Finnish for foreigners courses: I know I'd be (a priori) elegible for the State-run (unemployment office?) course that's free and intensive (full time), just can't remeber how the paperwork went and how long it takes (EEA 'unemployment benefit -if worst comes to worst, and in order to be able to sign in to this course- included. I DO have a residence permit already, but stopped the process somewhere down the line (i.e. I was loosing hope on finding any work! This time I know I'm not alone :D and will be more patient!

I would be happy with some clerk/office work as well!
I once heard of a French guy who got a job as projectionist at the Andorra cinema (that'd be just too good!). Film and Photo archives also!

I would be very thankful to you all if you could drop me a line throwing some light on this. (whilst in Turku I went through most, if not all, the post/production companies based in the Turku and Helsinki areas but, if I move, I will certainly give them a try again!

That's all for now,
Thanks in advance and sorry for this long post!

(When/if in Helsinki I'd be more than happy to meet any of you interested in doing so. Your posts are insightful, good read and lively!)

Demián
ImageImageImage

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:12 am

http://www.mediakylpyla.hel.fi

These people used to give A/V training courses to the unemployed etc. There web pages arent' in English anymore, but drop them a line. They might be able to give you some advice.

Stu

demian

Post by demian » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:43 am

Hi, Stu!

Thanks a lot for the website, it seems promising. Let's hope there's something good there. I'll check it out more in depht with some help from someone who can actually read it! :wink:

Cheers again
Demián
ImageImageImage