Residence Permit Type for Doctoral Students

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
d_z

Post by d_z » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:06 am

Hi all,

I would like to ask are the residence permits for employed doctoral students (researchers, OLE_TUT) all "A" permits now? Even for the 1st permit?

As I checked on this site, many PhDs said their 1st permit was "B" for 1 year, some of them even got another "B" for the 2nd one.

However I also found a piece of news which said from May 2018 all researchers would be granted continuous residence permit, i.e. "A" permit, from the 1st application and the period would be 2 years.

I am planing to study in PhD level and settle in Finland, so these info are helpful for me. Anyone knows is this news accurate, and what the situations going on actually?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Residence Permit Type for Doctoral Students

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:42 am

d_z wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:06 am
Hi all,

I would like to ask are the residence permits for employed doctoral students (researchers, OLE_TUT) all "A" permits now? Even for the 1st permit?

As I checked on this site, many PhDs said their 1st permit was "B" for 1 year, some of them even got another "B" for the 2nd one.

However I also found a piece of news which said from May 2018 all researchers would be granted continuous residence permit, i.e. "A" permit, from the 1st application and the period would be 2 years.

I am planing to study in PhD level and settle in Finland, so these info are helpful for me. Anyone knows is this news accurate, and what the situations going on actually?

Many thanks in advance!
They are.

“ Oleskelulupa myönnetään jatkuvana kahdeksi vuodeksi tai enintään sopimuksen voimassaoloajaksi, jos sopimus on voimassa alle kaksi vuotta. Jatko-oleskelulupa myönnetään enintään neljäksi vuodeksi.”

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2018/20180719#P6

FinlandGirl

Re: Residence Permit Type for Doctoral Students

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:52 am

d_z wrote:

This might depend on the durations of the employment contracts.
d_z wrote:

I am planing to study in PhD level and settle in Finland, so these info are helpful for me.
You will fall back to B if you need an RP for job search after completing your PhD.
d_z wrote:
Anyone knows is this news accurate, and what the situations going on actually?
Your university would be the best place to ask.