Paragliding and Kite Boarding

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Ace

Re: Paragliding and Kite Boarding

Post by Ace » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:03 pm

sparks1061 wrote:Hi,
Does anyone on here Paraglide?
I know someone who does, I'll ask him for you and post back :!:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

steve

Post by steve » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:57 pm

Hi,
Yes, I'm a Paragliding pilot who has done a reasonable amount of flying here in Finland. The Weather's not so good for flying just now, but once the cold weather sets in and the lakes freeze over, the winter towing season starts.

What's your level of experience and expectations for flying here in Finland? I've been flying for around 6 years and am currently on a DHV2 Wing.

Just one note, practically all flying here is by Nordic ground towing as there are few hills fo soaring, so you should be comfortable with towing.

As far as cubs are concerened there is Helsingin Varjolitto/Skyriders clubs
who generally fly out of either Hyvinkaa or Rayskalla in summer or Ridasjarvi in winter. Another good club I've flown with is Ultra team in Lahtti who fly at Vesivehmaa in summer and from various locations around Veijarvi in winter.

Anyhow I have the contacts for both clubs and am more than happy to help out a fellow pilot who's looking for some airtime.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve - Image

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:39 am

Sorry about this. I sent the guy this message:
>I remembered from your web page that you paraglide,
>could you give me any information to pass on to this
>person.
>
>
And unfortunately he sent me this reply:
I actually did the paragliding in France, I haven't done any in
Finland.
And I haven't searched for any associations doing it neither. However,
I
know there are quite many of them so it should not be too difficult to
find information. Sorry about not being able to help you more on
this...

mmenn

Post by mmenn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi guys,
I was so happy to see this post! I started a flying course in Italy two years ago but for personal problems I haven't got the license. Anyway now I moved to Turku and I will probably stay here some years, do you have any idea about the Finnish legislation and the fly licence? Thank you! :D

Huy

Post by Huy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:39 pm

You are almost excactly 10 years from the last post in this thread. Impressive!
▬­­­­­­­­­­­­­­~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
Älä tyri nyt, älä lyö yli nyt, älä antaudu angstin valtaan.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:15 pm

mmenn wrote:Hi guys,
I was so happy to see this post! I started a flying course in Italy two years ago but for personal problems I haven't got the license. Anyway now I moved to Turku and I will probably stay here some years, do you have any idea about the Finnish legislation and the fly licence? Thank you! :D
http://www.avliitajat.net/Yhteystiedot.html
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

dave071061

Post by dave071061 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:46 pm

I flew paragliders for nearly 15 years but finally gave up when I came back to Finland for the 2nd time having spent a year in Switzerland, and I have to tell you flying in Finland is a pain in the ASS!!!!
As already mentioned 95% of flying is done from tow launch, with the remainder being cliff hanging in gale force winds
Unless you are 100% committed to flying every time the weather is even remotely suitable you will spend years trying to clock up the hours you need for your permit.
And don´t forget, if you learn in Finland you will have a tow endorsement, which means you won´t be permitted to hill fly unsupervised in most of Europe :(

If you really want to learn to paraglide, and it is a fantastic sport, I suggest you go to the French or Austrian Alps as many weeks each year as you can, get your permits there and then just get the tow endorsement in Finland when you are qualified.
Switzerland is a fantastic place to fly, but getting your license there isn´t possible unless you are a resident.

mmenn

Post by mmenn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Let say that Finland is really not the best place for paraglider :cry: . Anyway I will check out the situation here contacting the school in Turku and maybe consider to come back in Italy for the exam.
Thank you guys! :beer_yum: