Handball - the American one....?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Johnny_Peebucks

Post by Johnny_Peebucks » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:50 am

Does anyone know if this is played in Finland?

Or at least where I can buy equipment from?

Thanks

Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other !"#¤% you ain't never heard of!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

msrz

Re: Handball - the American one....?

Post by msrz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:09 am

Johnny_Peebucks wrote:Does anyone know if this is played in Finland?

Or at least where I can buy equipment from?

Thanks
i saw people playing it in myllypuro urheilusali once.I think you know where it is.but that was quite a long time ago
McNulty-I gotta pick up my son from his soccer practices.
Bubbles-You gotta suck what?

Johnny_Peebucks

Post by Johnny_Peebucks » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Thanks...er...no actually I have no idea where it is! So I am guessing helsinki.
Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other !"#¤% you ain't never heard of!

msrz

Post by msrz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Johnny_Peebucks wrote:Thanks...er...no actually I have no idea where it is! So I am guessing helsinki.
yep.Helsinki,myllypuro)))
McNulty-I gotta pick up my son from his soccer practices.
Bubbles-You gotta suck what?

Johnny_Peebucks

Post by Johnny_Peebucks » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Thanks...bit far from Turku to hit a ball agaisnt a wall though...But maybe they have some sort of webpage or some such pap...Thanks again.

John L.

Post by John L. » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:59 pm

You're in luck since you live in a city where there is a team at the highest level in Finland, the Vaahteraliiga ("Maple League")!

The team is called Turku Trojans and I'm sure through them you can find equipment and maybe even get a chance to play yourself. Finland is actually (or at least used to be) one of the top countries in Europe. I think Finland even won the European Championship/s a few years back?

Here's their link: http://www.turkutrojans.com/

Johnny_Peebucks

Post by Johnny_Peebucks » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Thanks!!!!!

Sadly, that is a very, VERY different game to what I am looking for...I am looking for HANDball...that game played by the Trojans is known in the U.S. as FOOTball...all though the hands are used in both sports and the foot rarely or not at all. :D

Thanks for the help all the same!

Handball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQQF3Cs ... re=related

FOOTball (Borat styke)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSFGFvkQ0CA

John L.

Post by John L. » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:49 pm

When you said American handball I immediately thought you meant their football since handball is not very popular in the US.

I've always wondered why the person, who invented the game called it football? The only place where they use a foot (besides running with the ball) is when a kicker makes a field goal. Instead hands are used in passing the ball to the wide receiver or handing it over to the rusher, who run with the ball in his hands. In traditional (European) football, the use of hands is forbidden - except by the goal keeper, of course!

Well, in that case (you're still in luck...), there's a handball club called HC Fenix in Turku also on the highest level. Their pages: http://www.hcfenix.net/0708/

SORRY! JUST NOW LOOKED AT YOUR YOUTUBE INSERT. NEVER SEEN THAT KIND OF HANDBALL BEFORE. MAYBE THE PEOPLE AT HC FENIX COULD STILL KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

mCowboy

Post by mCowboy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:57 pm

John L. wrote: The only place where they use a foot (besides running with the ball) is when a kicker makes a field goal.
Actually the there's also a kick off to start every half and after a goal is made.

Thanks for playing, better luck next time... :thumbsup:
Get in there...

John L.

Post by John L. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:02 am

...and on forth and something you can either try for the 3 points or punt. Punters use a foot as well.

Johnny_Peebucks

Post by Johnny_Peebucks » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:46 am

I heard that it's something to do with measurement...foot as in 30cm...something to do with the pitch layout.

Yeah - the kasipallo (team handball) people are supposed to be promoting handball in Finland....but bit hard to get in touch with...Finns - communciation...efficiency myths....sheeesh.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:25 am

revelation helped a lot, so that exactly what you're talking about...
seen it but never here - its the game in spain called pelota vasca or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_pelota

what in swedish-speaking areas is called handbåll and in Finnish käsipallo and what that hardcore turku plays is something between soccer and basketball played with a volleyball http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_handball

as for their efficiency - its july and everyone is on holiday and they play handball, not pelota
Last edited by Pursuivant on Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Johnny_Peebucks

Post by Johnny_Peebucks » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:38 am

Yeah it's similiar to pelota vasco...there's variations all over the world. No gourd is used, are you thinking of Jai alai....that game that's considered to be the fastest ball game? That would be fun to try too.

The roots of the US version are supposed to be in Ireland...and some English games are similiar.

But it's just squash without a racket - but the ball is different...more like a racketball ball.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:47 am

its the same game, they use the gourd in some variations, => jai alai is the name for the court you play the pelota in basque

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:59 am

so then going to squash places would be an idea as thats where such courts may be, or ask in the squash liito - after holidays