Swimming lessons in Helsinki

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
yashraghav

Post by yashraghav » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Hello there,

I live in Helsinki and I am looking for swimming classes/courses for adult beginners. Could anyone share information on this? I have been to one swimming course when I was in Tampere, but the group I was with had 10 people and there was not much attention given to members. This time, I wanna learn swimming in correct method, with diving and learn how to be comfortable in deep waters as well.

Thanks!

Br, Yash

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Redshift

Re: Swimming lessons in Helsinki

Post by Redshift » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:37 am

Ten people doesn't seem that much... In two lanes?
How long was that course in Tampere? Confidence in deep water will come naturally with the improvement of the swimming technique. Maybe diving is not something they focus on so much when dealing with adults. It certainly won't be part of initial training.

yashraghav

Post by yashraghav » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 am

Hi,
Well, you know there were no lanes for us as we were beginners and it was in the area where water is up to your chest and we were not allowed to go to the deeper side :( . On top of that only one teacher. I think the course was for 10 days, probably 1 per week. I don't remember exactly. My friends in Turku had diving also, to make them comfortable in deep water.
Are you aware how are swimming courses in Helsinki/Espoo?

Thanks!

Yash

Redshift

Post by Redshift » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Ten lessons are not enough to learn how to swim.
I have only been to one swimming pool in Tapiola. There were actually some lessons happening at the time (they had two lanes reserved) but I don't know any details about it. Maybe best is for you to check pools that are close to you and ask them how the lessons are before you choose.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:18 pm

You may need Finnish, at least to review the course information: http://www.urheiluhallit.fi/eng/swimmin ... dults.html
A quick glance reveals that most courses take between 5 and 10 learns.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 pm

I used to teach swimming and teaching adults is much more tricky than teaching children (you can distract children by making it fun). Adults you have to overcome their fears.

When I was teaching my only adults were one-on-one lessons. I recommend you try to find that if you really want to learn.

T

yashraghav

Post by yashraghav » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Hello Ajdias, redshift and tjawatts,

Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna check schools. That is best option than going for private instructors as they can be horribly expensive... :shock:

Regards
Yash