Customs

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
tjawatts

Customs

Post by tjawatts » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:38 pm

Hi all

The favourite topic of customs again. I have to order some overpriced text books from abroad (probably the US). They are going to come to USD 300 (350 inc packing).

My question what taxes are levied on import of books? Is it just the 8% VAT (am I even liable for that?). Or is it some random formula that is the closely guarded secret of the customs officials.

I might just clear the whole problem by ordering them to the UK and lugging them here in my suitcase. But it is good to know the options.

Cheers

Tony

Customs

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:04 pm

a) order them from the UK

b) some formula + 8% vat + 22% vat on the freight (uneducated guess)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

zmt

Post by zmt » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:15 pm

I already purchased books from amazon US twice and never paid VAT on it. It ended up being cheaper and faster than ordering them from Amazon fr or de! Maybe it depends on how much you buy, I don't know.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:20 pm

40 euros on other stuff... don't remember what books were.. Phil? He's ordered stuff and was commenting on the price/tax ratio.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:26 pm

I've ordered from amazon UK. Postage was quite reasonable - about 5 pounds. VAT already paid there so no customs tax.
Just checked their prices
£0.99 per book + £3.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/ ... 03-6850260

eashton

Re: Customs

Post by eashton » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:40 pm

tjawatts wrote:Hi all

The favourite topic of customs again. I have to order some overpriced text books from abroad (probably the US). They are going to come to USD 300 (350 inc packing).

My question what taxes are levied on import of books? Is it just the 8% VAT (am I even liable for that?). Or is it some random formula that is the closely guarded secret of the customs officials.

I might just clear the whole problem by ordering them to the UK and lugging them here in my suitcase. But it is good to know the options.

Cheers

Tony
From the US, they don't flag Amazon.com boxes unless they are over $100 not including the shipping. If it's over $100 they will make you go down to the tulli and pay 22% tax on both books and CDs. It used to be 8% but they upped it to 22% sometime around April. I order quite a lot from Amazon but I've just learned to make sure the orders are $99.99 or less :)[/i]

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:43 pm

eashton wrote: From the US, they don't flag Amazon.com boxes unless they are over $100 not including the shipping. If it's over $100 they will make you go down to the tulli and pay 22% tax on both books and CDs. It used to be 8% but they upped it to 22% sometime around April. I order quite a lot from Amazon but I've just learned to make sure the orders are $99.99 or less :)[/i]
I think VAT on books is still 8% and that is what Amazon.co.uk charges if you order from there. Unfortunately I have to order from a specific publisher in the US (PBD) and as the shipping is 5.99 + 20 first book then 3 for each book after that splitting the order isnt worth it!!

I ordered from England before and they came with no need for tax etc. I think I will ordered them to my parents in England seeing as I am going over and then I will bring them back into the country as my own property hence no tax ;-)

Tony

eashton

Post by eashton » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:02 am

tjawatts wrote:I think VAT on books is still 8% and that is what Amazon.co.uk charges if you order from there. Unfortunately I have to order from a specific publisher in the US (PBD) and as the shipping is 5.99 + 20 first book then 3 for each book after that splitting the order isnt worth it!!

I ordered from England before and they came with no need for tax etc. I think I will ordered them to my parents in England seeing as I am going over and then I will bring them back into the country as my own property hence no tax ;-)

Tony
No, from the US they will exact a 22% tax on them. The US isn't in the EU :) I found this out the hard way. If your order is coming from the US Amazon and it's $300, fully expect to have it waiting for you at the tulli with a tax of $66 to spring them.

eashton

Post by eashton » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:26 pm

[quote="eashton"
From the US, they don't flag Amazon.com boxes unless they are over $100 not including the shipping. If it's over $100 they will make you go down to the tulli and pay 22% tax on both books and CDs. It used to be 8% but they upped it to 22% sometime around April. I order quite a lot from Amazon but I've just learned to make sure the orders are $99.99 or less :)[/quote]

Actually, I'm wrong on the 22% on books since I was apparently screwed ahead of time by the Tulli. It's 8% on books still but they do include the cost of shipping when calculating this tax. The 22% will go into effect sometime next year.[/quote]

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:16 pm

Well, I am really surprised that Amazon would not have your specific book. Do you have any friends that live in the US? perhaps you can have the books first shipped there, then have them re-wrap the books into a non amazon.com box, then state its personal effects and ship them to you in Finland...avoid the whole tax thing alltogether. I learned one rule of thumb with the Tulli...if it has a corp or business name as the return address, expect them to ask questions about the content...if no company name is on the outside of the box / return address, no tax is needed. =)
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:27 pm

Kemars wrote:Well, I am really surprised that Amazon would not have your specific book.
They dont have all the books I need and the ones they do have are more expensive. It is for an exam and they are mostly published by the exam body via the publisher/distributer PBD.
Do you have any friends that live in the US?
Nope
avoid the whole tax thing alltogether.
Done that, ordered them to the UK where I wont have to pay tax. Just lug them here in my suitcase when I next visit!

Tony