Baby delivery without Kela card

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
SEBDZ

Post by SEBDZ » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi All!

I had a working contract for 3 years in Finland, so I worked less than a year and then I went to work in France. Both my wife and I got a 2 years resident permit, as I come alone to Finland, I got the Kela card. Now my wife is pregnant (7 months), and we are in France. I got an open contract to work again in Finland. The problem I will be there when my wife in her 8-month pregnancy. So I am not sure if we will get the Kela in time, and I don't think that my Kela can cover something related to her.
Do you think that it is possible to get Kela fast knowing that I will work and live in Helsinki? or I have to prepare the money to pay the full amount, in this case, how much it will cost for normal childbirth?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

nimap

Re: Baby delivery without Kela card

Post by nimap » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:46 am

SEBDZ wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:24 pm
Hi All!

I had a working contract for 3 years in Finland, so I worked less than a year and then I went to work in France. Both my wife and I got a 2 years resident permit, as I come alone to Finland, I got the Kela card. Now my wife is pregnant (7 months), and we are in France. I got an open contract to work again in Finland. The problem I will be there when my wife in her 8-month pregnancy. So I am not sure if we will get the Kela in time, and I don't think that my Kela can cover something related to her.
Do you think that it is possible to get Kela fast knowing that I will work and live in Helsinki? or I have to prepare the money to pay the full amount, in this case, how much it will cost for normal childbirth?

Thanks in advance.
Does your wife have Kela card equivalent in France? If so then she can apply for European Health Insurance Card which will work as Kela card (until she gets her own kela card) and you do not have to pay the bill by yourself. Also good to look at private insurance with relevant coverage for back up options if things doesn't go as planned.

you cannot predict the birth will be normal, in case of natural birth it'd cost around 4-7k depending on length of the hospital stay, plus extra costs for pre birth appointments and post birth check-ups. If C-section then expect to pay north of 10k.

betelgeuse

Re: Baby delivery without Kela card

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:03 pm

SEBDZ wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:24 pm
The cost of childbirth isn't really determined by Kela coverage but by having a municipality of residence. Municipality of residence is determined by DVV based on notifications to them as you are already in the population information system.

https://www.posti.fi/changeaddress/
https://dvv.fi/en/moving-abroad-or-from ... to-finland