Car electrical DIY

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Mendozaflash66

Car electrical DIY

Post by Mendozaflash66 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Hello,

I just bought a car and need to install a 230V internal socket for the heater. Thought of doing it myself (I am graduated in electronic engineering) but I need to know whether it allowed since it involved 230V connection. Furthermore, want to know whether I am allowed mess with 12V electrical systems without any issues from insurance company, like installing an aftermarket stereo myself.

Couldn't find any info on this online so any legal advice on this is appreciated

Thanks

Car electrical DIY

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Car electrical DIY

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:26 pm

Mendozaflash66 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:54 pm
Hello,

I just bought a car and need to install a 230V internal socket for the heater. Thought of doing it myself (I am graduated in electronic engineering) but I need to know whether it allowed since it involved 230V connection. Furthermore, want to know whether I am allowed mess with 12V electrical systems without any issues from insurance company, like installing an aftermarket stereo myself.

Couldn't find any info on this online so any legal advice on this is appreciated

Thanks
Not legal advice, but in general.... Any issues with the insurance company (or the manufacturer warranty) arise if it is your doing that has caused the damage. E.g. if you install a heater and a stereo, and an unrelated problem (the engine blows a gasket, a side panel rusts through,...) occurs, assuming it's not normal wear and the insurance/warranty covers it, then it's not on you. Similarly, obviously, even if you have all the qualifications in the world, and it's your installation that causes a fire burning the car down, it definitely is on you.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:19 pm

Mendozaflash66 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:54 pm
Hello,

Thanks
I did it myself (both)... but my car did not catch fire (yet) :lol:

I guess when it is a second hand car, there is no problem, in case of trouble, blame it on the previous owner(s).. :lol:

When you got the papers for doing it, there should be no problem anyway, you will make sure you will not make a mistake now do you?... so any damage afterwards is by definition not because of your DIY...therefore no problem with insurances...

As a rule, I never let any other person than myself touch my car for repairs or mods anyway, they will for sure F*ck it up (experienced it multiple times).. I only trust myself if it comes to my car / safety. Basically this is true for everything else regarding installation work or building work too.

The problem in Finland is that the real "ammattimies" (professional) is very hard to find and most times already a retired person...

Regarding the 230V socket inside the car, I would advice you to buy the complete cable and socket set from calix or defa that includes the engine heater element as well, the use of this will save your engine wear / oil consumption / exhaust system / the environment as well, especially when it gets real cold...like last few days..
You even do not need papers (license) for this because your "installation" is not permanently connected to the mains, it has a normal 230V plug on a cable...it is considered consumer equipment. (defacto an extension cord).

If you have enough money to spare, go for a fuel based system from webasto, it will work in the forest as well (no electricity). This is slightly more complicated to install... :wink:

Powerboy9

Post by Powerboy9 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:00 am

Is there a solution? Afraid it will break more

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:01 am

Powerboy9 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:00 am
Is there a solution? Afraid it will break more
A solution for what?