debt collection

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
krapulassa

debt collection

Post by krapulassa » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:23 pm

I had car insurance in Finland and last year the car's engine failed so I parked it in a garage. I stopped making insurance payments on my car insurance policy and sent an email to the insurance company to cancel my policy. I got no reply but I assumed that if I stop paying my monthly insurance fee, they policy will automatically be cancelled. However, this was not the case and they kept the policy going. And after six months I get a letter from the ministry of justice (baliff or something) that I owe them 680 eur.

Can I dispute this claim for payment and also will this affect my credit history in Finland?

debt collection

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: debt collection

Post by rinso » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:38 pm

krapulassa wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:23 pm
Can I dispute this claim for payment
Yes, but an email without a reply is not a very strong argument.
will this affect my credit history in Finland?
If you don't pay; probably yes.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:10 pm

krapulassa wrote:
I had car insurance in Finland and last year the car's engine failed so I parked it in a garage. I stopped making insurance payments on my car insurance policy and sent an email to the insurance company to cancel my policy. I got no reply but I assumed that if I stop paying my monthly insurance fee, they policy will automatically be cancelled. However, this was not the case and they kept the policy going.
You can't just decide yourself that you don't need the insurance any more. "If a vehicle is registered for use in traffic, it must be covered by a valid motor liability insurance."

https://www.lvk.fi/en/obligation-to-ins ... to-insure/
krapulassa wrote:
And after six months I get a letter from the ministry of justice (baliff or something) that I owe them 680 eur.

Can I dispute this claim for payment and also will this affect my credit history in Finland?
As long as they are able to collect, it will not move from your enforcement file to credit file.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:28 am

You are liable to pay as long the car was registered to be used in traffic. You shall have decommissioned the car from trafi.fi

suomynona.yllatot

Post by suomynona.yllatot » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:04 pm

krapulassa wrote:
I had car insurance in Finland and last year the car's engine failed so I parked it in a garage. I stopped making insurance payments on my car insurance policy and sent an email to the insurance company to cancel my policy. I got no reply but I assumed that if I stop paying my monthly insurance fee, they policy will automatically be cancelled. However, this was not the case and they kept the policy going. And after six months I get a letter from the ministry of justice (baliff or something) that I owe them 680 eur.

Since the original post dealt with the issue of insurance only and the payment claim: If you have the record and proof of the email, AND can validate reasonably that the email address you sent it to belongs to the insurance company, you can challenge the payment - i.e. the insurance company should have been in touch with you.

That being said, as far as I recall, you must keep the mandatory traffic insurance (liikennevakuutus), if you also have coverage for your car, that is not mandatory.

If you make a claim, make sure you register it correctly, including a clear heading that states 'Reklamaatio' in the subject and the top of the communication. Unless the claim issue is resolved, the bill can be put on hold. Inform the details to the collection agency as well.
Yep, it is! What's the big deal?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:05 pm

suomynona.yllatot wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:04 pm
If you make a claim, make sure you register it correctly, including a clear heading that states 'Reklamaatio' in the subject and the top of the communication. Unless the claim issue is resolved, the bill can be put on hold. Inform the details to the collection agency as well.
There is no collection agency involved. It's in ulosotto (enforcement) because traffic insurance is allowed fast track there.

Aikon-

Post by Aikon- » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:07 pm

Right way of doing that would be going traficom website https://www.traficom.fi/en/ you find all vehicles you own and you set your vehicle hold (poista ajoneuvo liikenteestä) It cost 5e and it automatically informs your insurance company and it stops your insurance payments. If you done like that you wouldnt had any problems. Now its late.