Citizenship Application 2021

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
betelgeuse

Re: Citizenship Application 2021

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:37 pm

alexilaiho wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:32 pm
I think the tax is waived if the money is to support your education. that's why students are not taxed. l may be wrong...
It is. However, there's a catch:

"If you have a child who is studying in a foreign country, you can pay their study fees free of tax. If you transfer money directly to the bank account of the college or university, your child is not liable to pay gift tax. However, if you transfer money to your child’s bank account to cover their study fees, the gift is subject to gift tax because the money could be spent on other things."

https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/prop ... empt_gift/

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

maskara

Post by maskara » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:37 pm
alexilaiho wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:32 pm
I think the tax is waived if the money is to support your education. that's why students are not taxed. l may be wrong...
It is. However, there's a catch:

"If you have a child who is studying in a foreign country, you can pay their study fees free of tax. If you transfer money directly to the bank account of the college or university, your child is not liable to pay gift tax. However, if you transfer money to your child’s bank account to cover their study fees, the gift is subject to gift tax because the money could be spent on other things."

https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/prop ... empt_gift/
It’s absolute nonsense. They are just looking for “how we can get more tax”. Gift tax is not something that is mentioned by anyone (including your bank). You really need to find out by yourself. What is worse, it doesn’t matter even if it is inside family. I would understand if somebody else gives you money but your parents? Your spouse? Seriously?
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

alexilaiho

Post by alexilaiho » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:26 pm

well you can just pay the gift tax, then there will be no reason to reject you application.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:18 am

maskara wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm

It’s absolute nonsense. They are just looking for “how we can get more tax”. Gift tax is not something that is mentioned by anyone (including your bank). You really need to find out by yourself. What is worse, it doesn’t matter even if it is inside family. I would understand if somebody else gives you money but your parents? Your spouse? Seriously?
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Providing an info sheet on taxation to immigrants would be useful. Gift tax is connected to inheritance tax. Without a gift tax it would be quite easy to avoid inheritance taxes. Of course, one can take the stand that neither should exist. However, in Finland it makes to sense to assume any transaction involves taxation unless one knows otherwise.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:23 am

maskara wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:07 pm
What is even more absurd, it doesn’t matter if you are family or not, if you get an amount of 5000 € total in 3 years, you have to pay gift tax. Which makes it clear that both partners have to have their own income or they have to pay tax for something that is a family sharing.
Partners avoid being liable for gift tax through joint accounts and the daily expenses exception.

maskara

Post by maskara » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:01 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:23 am
maskara wrote:
What is even more absurd, it doesn’t matter if you are family or not, if you get an amount of 5000 € total in 3 years, you have to pay gift tax. Which makes it clear that both partners have to have their own income or they have to pay tax for something that is a family sharing.
Partners avoid being liable for gift tax through joint accounts and the daily expenses exception.
I checked that too. It says that the joint account money has to be used both parts benefit. So if one of the partner withdraw some and use for its own benefit, then gift tax comes.

I have a question though, they told me that they are waiting for my residency time to fulfill to make decision. If it’s gonna be negative based on this tax etc, would they still wait for the residency time fulfill to make negative decision?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:47 pm

maskara wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:01 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
maskara wrote:
I checked that too. It says that the joint account money has to be used both parts benefit. So if one of the partner withdraw some and use for its own benefit, then gift tax comes.
This is not really accurate.

” What would give rise to gift tax is a situation where money in the shared account is spent for the benefit of one spouse based on a reason other than liability to provide maintenance. Such spending takes place, for example, if one of the spouses withdraws cash from the shared bank account and uses it to buy assets for personal use.”

https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/prop ... -gift-tax/

maskara

Post by maskara » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:59 pm

enitan2002 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:51 pm
maskara wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:

I have a question though, they told me that they are waiting for my residency time to fulfill to make decision. If it’s gonna be negative based on this tax etc, would they still wait for the residency time fulfill to make negative decision?

How many years have you been living in Finland, and how did you receive your various types of residence permit? Did you start off with A or B?
1.5 years B permit (student), 4 years A permit (marriage). Student time wasn’t counted for some reason. I asked why but they haven’t answered.

Jbesson

Post by Jbesson » Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 am

My application moved to the second stage today
Proved id in the end of Nov 2020

manamak

Post by manamak » Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am

Jbesson wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 am
Great news! What was is queue number? Would you please also update us if you have other contacts from Migri?

Jbesson

Post by Jbesson » Tue May 04, 2021 11:49 am

manamak wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am
Jbesson wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 am
Great news! What was is queue number? Would you please also update us if you have other contacts from Migri?
Thanks! Hoping for the best :)
Queue number is 2740
I had made some mistakes in the travel dates (throughout 8 years of my life in Finland), I have informed them as soon as I noticed, so hopefully it won’t affect it the wrong way... Will share if something else comes up from Migri:)

parrraxitamoan

Post by parrraxitamoan » Wed May 05, 2021 12:06 am

maskara wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:59 pm
enitan2002 wrote:
maskara wrote:

How many years have you been living in Finland, and how did you receive your various types of residence permit? Did you start off with A or B?
1.5 years B permit (student), 4 years A permit (marriage). Student time wasn’t counted for some reason. I asked why but they haven’t answered.
Check the period of residence calculation method again, there is a line that explains the B time is only calculated in full year. Meaning if you had 1.5 year of B -> 0.75 year in period of residence, it will be rounded down and excluded.

ktrnc

Post by ktrnc » Wed May 05, 2021 11:11 am

parrraxitamoan wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:06 am
maskara wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:59 pm
enitan2002 wrote:

Check the period of residence calculation method again, there is a line that explains the B time is only calculated in full year. Meaning if you had 1.5 year of B -> 0.75 year in period of residence, it will be rounded down and excluded.

Can you point where does it say that? I could not find such rule.

maskara

Post by maskara » Wed May 05, 2021 11:54 am

Hey everyone,

I got my positive decision today. So happy that things worked out. I hope you all get good news. :) :beer_yum:

BomjaraSedoi

Post by BomjaraSedoi » Wed May 05, 2021 12:50 pm

maskara wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:54 am
Hey everyone,

I got my positive decision today. So happy that things worked out. I hope you all get good news. :) :beer_yum:

Great!!! How long are you waiting for?