living in vantaa

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
krapulassa

living in vantaa

Post by krapulassa » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:39 pm

I am thinking about moving to vantaa and wanted to know other people's opinions on living there. It appears to be a nice suburban area with 25 minute commute to the city. Is it a good place to live?

living in vantaa

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: living in vantaa

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:26 am

krapulassa wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:39 pm
I am thinking about moving to vantaa and wanted to know other people's opinions on living there. It appears to be a nice suburban area with 25 minute commute to the city. Is it a good place to live?
Vantaa is growing and people from Helsinki are moving in (more than in the opposite direction), so on average probably not the worst place. Then again, areas differ, who knows who the future neighbors might be,...

inkku

Post by inkku » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:26 am

indeed, there are some pretty awful areas in Vantaa, and some very nice old residential areas. But for sure, you can find value for money there.

jimena_jr

Post by jimena_jr » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:24 pm

I lived in Tikkurila for a year and a half and recently we moved to Koivukylä. Can't say I'm crazy about either, although now I find myself missing Tikkurila, which had a younger population. Also the river area is so pretty in the warmer months (if you can find something around there I recommend it).
In general my problem with living in suburbs is that I miss cafés and restaurants, a varied cultural offer and nice public space. I feel like everything there is to do here is either being at home or going to the supermarket, which can be rather depressing.

If you value having more space or a garden, residential areas of Vantaa can be the place to live, though. I guess it all depends on your priorities!

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:21 pm

Why not Espoo though? There are malls and non-pizza restaurants in Espoo. The rents are similar although buying price seems higher.

I also miss living in downtown where I could just walk a few meters to get nice food after work.