International supermarkets?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
agroot

Post by agroot » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:00 pm

Is there a topic somewhere listing international supermarkets in Helsinki or Espoo, or how to search for them?

For example I only learned recently Russian and Ukrainian grocery are typical sold in shops called "Eestin .." (Estonia!? :roll:). Asian ones are clearly named but unfortunately the owners have only products from Vietnam, Thailand and China - I want stuff from Tibet or Mongolia..

Anything not typical Finnish, Indian or "Asian" would be great. Icelandic too.

PS: oddly I can't seem to find any shop from ME, like Turkey or Arabia.. the frozen kebab in k-supermarket doesn't count.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Oombongo

Re: International supermarkets?

Post by Oombongo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:34 pm

agroot wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:00 pm
PS: oddly I can't seem to find any shop from ME, like Turkey or Arabia.. the frozen kebab in k-supermarket doesn't count.
alanya puhos in Helsinki Itäkeskus?
Image Image

agroot

Post by agroot » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:57 pm

Oombongo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:34 pm
alanya puhos in Helsinki Itäkeskus?
Looks nice, thanks! :D

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 pm

agroot wrote:
Is there a topic somewhere listing international supermarkets in Helsinki or Espoo, or how to search for them?

For example I only learned recently Russian and Ukrainian grocery are typical sold in shops called "Eestin .." (Estonia!? :roll:). Asian ones are clearly named but unfortunately the owners have only products from Vietnam, Thailand and China - I want stuff from Tibet or Mongolia..

Mero Market in Iso Omena and Ararat Bazaar in Kalasatama are Turkish.

There are several Asian/African supermarkets in Hakaniemi.
Opposite side of the street of the (currently closed) marked hall is the Indian Market.
Around the corner in the same block are 2 Asian shops in Sörnäisten Rantatie.
On the other side going up Hämeentie there are 4-5 Asian/African shops on the right of Hämeentie before the football field, and in Haapaniemenkatu is also one.
On the left side of Hämeentie is another one (plus a Mexican shop), and one a few meters up in Kolmas Linja.
That's around 10 Asian/Afrian supermarkets within 200 meters.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:59 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 pm
Amazing! I walked there many times but never noticed anything :D Thanks!

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:25 pm

There used to be a map with many of the shops http://www.lintulaakso.net/kallionbasaari/luettelo.php not sure how up to date it remains.
Also found this from 2016: https://viimeistamuruamyoten.com/vinkit ... et-kaupat/

masao

Post by masao » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:55 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 pm
agroot wrote:

Mero Market in Iso Omena and Ararat Bazaar in Kalasatama are Turkish.

There are several Asian/African supermarkets in Hakaniemi.
Opposite side of the street of the (currently closed) marked hall is the Indian Market.
Around the corner in the same block are 2 Asian shops in Sörnäisten Rantatie.
On the other side going up Hämeentie there are 4-5 Asian/African shops on the right of Hämeentie before the football field, and in Haapaniemenkatu is also one.
On the left side of Hämeentie is another one (plus a Mexican shop), and one a few meters up in Kolmas Linja.
In addition, if you walk up to Sörnäinen metro station along Hämeentie, there are several Asian food shops around the station area with sushi/noodle restaurants.
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony