CAR from USA

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
JUVA

CAR from USA

Post by JUVA » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:42 am

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I need advice on this matter based on your experience. In the USA, there are many types of cars that are not very popular in Finland such as Jeep Wrangler. I would go and buy one through Auction but I am not sure of the following concerns:-

1) Is there any specific model year restrictions at the customs for importing cars from the USA?.
2) How will the price of tax and customs be calculated (percentage on my invoice price or the market value price of the car?

Thanks in advance
GUVA

CAR from USA

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: CAR from USA

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:05 pm

JUVA wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:42 am
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I need advice on this matter based on your experience. In the USA, there are many types of cars that are not very popular in Finland such as Jeep Wrangler. I would go and buy one through Auction but I am not sure of the following concerns:-

1) Is there any specific model year restrictions at the customs for importing cars from the USA?.
No restrictions on model year. Take note that for an imported car (one not brought along with you when you move) you will have to change e.g. head lights to European standard ones, possibly also indicators or other parts, some of which may be hard and/or expensive to source.
JUVA wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:42 am
2) How will the price of tax and customs be calculated (percentage on my invoice price or the market value price of the car?
Market value in Finland.

Check also e.g. https://www.mobile.de/ and https://www.blocket.se/, it might very well be that you can find the car you want from elsewhere in Europe, making the importation process easier as they're already EU spec. There are a number of companies offering import services, including transport and the required paperwork, prices are around 2000€ total for a car imported from Germany.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:36 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:05 pm
you will have to change e.g. head lights to European standard ones, possibly also indicators or other parts, some of which may be hard and/or expensive to source.
A block heater is not even legally required, but can be useful if the car will be used in winter.
Fuel costs for such a SUV are also quite high.

Driving a car imported from the US in Finland is an expensive hobby, financially it does not make sense.

JUVA

Post by JUVA » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:44 pm

Thanks Guys

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:22 pm

Let's say you want to buy a JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED SAHARA 4X4 FACELIFT MY12

Now on Nettiauto.fi advertised for 34 800 €

Regardless of what you pay for it, it will cost you about 10 927,20€ for car import tax and because it comes from USA and not EU, VAT still needs to be paid for it as well. 24%

So basically it is not smart to import a car from USA, as said by others, you might want to consider buying it in another EU member state, then there comes at least no VAT and EU regulatory compliance modification costs.

Unless you get it real cheap. Like in the example including transport to Finland for about 15 000€

You can check yourself here to get an idea of the import costs: https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/vehi ... f_car_tax/