Replacement of laminate floor

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
juliahelsingissa

Post by juliahelsingissa » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 am

Goodmorning everyone,
I am writing because I need to replace my bedroom laminate floor, I asked for a quote and, since it is my very first time and I am not familiar with the prices, I would like to ask you whether the price I was offered is correct or too much.
So, for about 18 m^2, to remove the old laminate and the baseboard, put a new laminate and a new oak baseboard, and to plaster, levelling and paint one of the four walls, I was asked about 2600€ (vat inc.).
What do you think about it? Is it an honest price? Should I expect less? Or should consider myself lucky because it is a good price?

If needed, I may provide further details.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post.

P.S.: I forgot to mention that the replacement is in Uusimaa, in the area of Helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Replacement of laminate floor

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:06 am

juliahelsingissa wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 am
Goodmorning everyone,
I am writing because I need to replace my bedroom laminate floor, I asked for a quote and, since it is my very first time and I am not familiar with the prices, I would like to ask you whether the price I was offered is correct or too much.
So, for about 18 m^2, to remove the old laminate and the baseboard, put a new laminate and a new oak baseboard, and to plaster, levelling and paint one of the four walls, I was asked about 2600€ (vat inc.).
What do you think about it? Is it an honest price? Should I expect less? Or should consider myself lucky because it is a good price?

If needed, I may provide further details.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post.

P.S.: I forgot to mention that the replacement is in Uusimaa, in the area of Helsinki
I'd suggest to ask quotes from a few other places, which should give a pretty good idea of the price range. The quote should include the cost of labor separately, as it is tax deductible ("kotitalousvähennys"), and also gives a better idea of the offering.

Price of the laminate itself is something from a tad over a hundred and upwards to about 400€ (for 18 square meters). For around 100€ you should get enough paint for one wall. On the Internet, some sites state 30€-60€ as an "average" hourly rate for renovation, floor installation being in the lower end. There are some other costs, under floor material, floor molding, painting equipment, etc., let's say 300€ altogether. Doing the math: (2600€ - (400€ + 100€ + 300€)) / 60€ gives a total of 30 hours of work, with the pricing at the higher end. I'm no renovation expert but I think it all should be doable in two days, a day each for the floor and the wall, unless there's something requiring additional work; the floor is crooked, the wall is in horrendous condition,...

You could also get the price down by doing some of the work yourself (if something's expensive is Finland, it's hiring people to do anything), e.g. prepping and painting a wall is not that difficult, nor is tearing down the existing floorboards and molding. Of course you'll have to get the equipment and probably you'll spend more time on it that a professional would, but still you wouldn't be paying an hourly wage for something you most likely can do yourself.

juliahelsingissa

Re: Replacement of laminate floor

Post by juliahelsingissa » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:35 am

Thank you kindly for your reply. Indeed the wall is in horrible condition (it needs a lot of plastering and levelling). I myself know how to plaster, but I have never leveled, and above all else, the wall has a non-water soluble paint (which makes the removal of the paint much harder). That being said, I had the same floor removing elsewhere in the house, and the prior owner had put laminate on hardwood. They removed both and leveled the floor underneath, which was a horrible mess. In other words, I think I will be able to remove all the layers, but the levelling underneath seems not an easy diy project, without the machine they used.
Then if I consider the price in relation to the material, the laminate I required is on the expensive side (and they are also putting "waterproof" material under it). Lastly the baseboard will be in oak, which to my knowledge is again on the expensive side.
To have a better understanding of the quote I received, I also asked them how much is the price without the wall repair, and they said 1700€ (which means that the wall itself will be 900€). I am now asking for a second quote. But with all the info you gave me it sounds fairly reasonable the price they asked me for.
Once again, I thank you for your reply. Have a lovely day.
Last edited by juliahelsingissa on Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.