Lapinjarvi, Lohja or Ekenas (Tammisaari)?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Rivereyes

Post by Rivereyes » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:25 am

Hi all!

Even though my mind's mostly made up, I wanted to get a bit of the local opinion.

Post-Covid, the bulk of my work will be remote, I will maybe need to visit the office in Helsinki once or twice per week at most. I'm neck deep in raising babies so any concept of 'social life' will happen in 5+ years in the future- if ever again :D. I've been eyeing some beautiful, family-friendly detached homes in the above mentioned municipalities. The prices are right, they don't appear to be all wolves n' wilderness and hopefully the 4G/5G is good.

Anyone with experience of building out a fort out there and doing the whole 'remote-family-geek-in-the-wilderness' bit, kindly please share any insights or useful tips for it all!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Lapinjarvi, Lohja or Ekenas (Tammisaari)?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 am

Out of the three, I'd definitely prefer Lohja for its closer proximity to Helsinki, two and a half to three hours of driving (i.e. roughly an eleven hour work day) once or twice a week can get tiresome really fast, especially as you have children to raise. Cellular network coverage you shouldn't have to worry about, there may be differences between different carriers depending on the area, but most likely at least one them will work fine.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:32 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 am
Out of the three, I'd definitely prefer Lohja for its closer proximity to Helsinki, two and a half to three hours of driving (i.e. roughly an eleven hour work day) once or twice a week can get tiresome really fast
Ekenäs has a good train connection to the centre of Helsinki.

Rivereyes

Post by Rivereyes » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:16 pm

Of the three I believe only Lapinjarvi requires a car to commute. It did have an Onnibus route, but it's cancelled 'till June currently.

I was thinking more along the lines of services around each municipality, such as day care, school, a doctor and dentist...on paper everything looks good, but I was curious whether anyone has actual experience living in one of those municipalities.