Name change after marriage

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
KatherineJoanna

Post by KatherineJoanna » Mon May 03, 2021 7:36 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm British and my husband is Finnish. We got married the weekend before last and I am adding his name to mine. I'm struggling to find any information on what happens now. I was given the impression that it would be updated automatically in the population register after the priest who officiated our wedding submits the information, but it hasn't yet.

Anyone have any experience with this matter?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

krapulassa

Re: Name change after marriage

Post by krapulassa » Thu May 06, 2021 1:39 am

KatherineJoanna wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:36 pm
I'm British and my husband is Finnish. We got married the weekend before last and I am adding his name to mine. I'm struggling to find any information on what happens now. I was given the impression that it would be updated automatically in the population register after the priest who officiated our wedding submits the information, but it hasn't yet.
I am sorry to hear that you married a Finnish guy.

Katherine Joanna is a great name, I see no reason to change it.

However, name changes can be done by the DVV (population register) at the time of the ceremony or later upon request.

Ulminpoika

Re: Name change after marriage

Post by Ulminpoika » Fri May 07, 2021 10:22 am

Congratulations to your wedding. I hope you'll be able to take a honeymoon trip soon.

Finland is not that secular as other countries and the Finish church is quite involved in state matters. Back in the day we were asked by the priest if we wanted to change last names. We didn't at the time but the church can initiate that. But why not ask the priest? They are usually happy to hear from people :-).