Legal to drive with your car’s trunk open?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
mm_suomi

Post by mm_suomi » Tue May 18, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi,
I need to transport some wooden logs from K-rauta/Bauhaus - The length of the wooden logs are slightly longer than my car's trunk capacity, although they will be fine if they are slightly sticking out with trunk open. I recently saw some cars on the road (Helsinki region) with the transporting items sticking out of the trunk.

I have been wondering what is the rule in Finland in regards to transporting items sticking out of the trunk? Is it a legal thing to do?

Unfortunately, my car doesn't have tow-bar to install a trailer.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Legal to drive with your car’s trunk open?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue May 18, 2021 1:40 pm

mm_suomi wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:19 pm
Hi,
I need to transport some wooden logs from K-rauta/Bauhaus - The length of the wooden logs are slightly longer than my car's trunk capacity, although they will be fine if they are slightly sticking out with trunk open. I recently saw some cars on the road (Helsinki region) with the transporting items sticking out of the trunk.

I have been wondering what is the rule in Finland in regards to transporting items sticking out of the trunk? Is it a legal thing to do?

Yes, it's legal. However,
-the view (from inside of the car backwards) must be blocked
-the items must be tied in so that they don't move during transport
-the items must not protrude further than 2m from the back of the car
-if the items protrude 1m or more from the back of the car, the end (of the items) must be marked with an orange or red flag with a minimum size of 30cm x 30cm, and when it's dark or otherwise in poor visibility, a red light and a red reflector must be placed at the end of the items

NukkuMatti

Re: Legal to drive with your car’s trunk open?

Post by NukkuMatti » Fri May 21, 2021 10:32 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:40 pm
mm_suomi wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:19 pm
Hi,

Yes, it's legal. However,
-the view (from inside of the car backwards) must be blocked
-the items must be tied in so that they don't move during transport
-the items must not protrude further than 2m from the back of the car
-if the items protrude 1m or more from the back of the car, the end (of the items) must be marked with an orange or red flag with a minimum size of 30cm x 30cm, and when it's dark or otherwise in poor visibility, a red light and a red reflector must be placed at the end of the items

Or put it on the roof (same rules apply regarding the red flag and fixed securely..)