Dual Citizenship

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Genghisuk

Dual Citizenship

Post by Genghisuk » Wed May 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I have found bits of relevant information amongst these forums, however, I thought it might be easier if I go ahead and ask the questions directly and pick the brains of all the informed users on here.

My question is about applying for dual citizenship

I am British
Domicile in the UK but lived in Finland 1990 - 1993 - worked, paid taxes etc
I have (had if they expire) a Finnish social security number - Kela Kortti. (11 digits ddmmyy-####)
My mother was born in Finland of Finnish family and moved to UK in 1959, returned to Finland for 6 months to marry my father in 1961 (he's British) she maintained her Finnish nationality until she passed away in 1986.

Does the right to citizenship by matriarchal descendence still exist?
If so, can this be done by declaration?
Who would you approach to find out the definitive answer and correct way to apply?

I know there are links everywhere, however, they often lead back to square one.

Please ask if you need more info

Thanks
Genghisuk

Dual Citizenship

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Dual Citizenship

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed May 19, 2021 3:44 pm

Genghisuk wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:46 pm
I am British
Domicile in the UK but lived in Finland 1990 - 1993 - worked, paid taxes etc
I have (had if they expire) a Finnish social security number - Kela Kortti. (11 digits ddmmyy-####)
My mother was born in Finland of Finnish family and moved to UK in 1959, returned to Finland for 6 months to marry my father in 1961 (he's British) she maintained her Finnish nationality until she passed away in 1986.

Does the right to citizenship by matriarchal descendence still exist?
If so, can this be done by declaration?
The actual question is whether at the time of your birth you acquired Finnish citizenship through your mother based on the law at that time.
If you then lost your Finnish citizenship due to also being a British citizen, this would make you a former Finnish citizen who can get citizenship back by declaration.
Genghisuk wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:46 pm
Who would you approach to find out the definitive answer and correct way to apply?
Migri wrote: You may ask the Finnish Immigration Service to determine your citizenship status in the following cases:
* You want to know if you have been a Finnish citizen.

Genghisuk

Post by Genghisuk » Wed May 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Thank you for your answer,

The question is then: How do I found out what the law was regarding citizenship when I was born in 1968? Was I granted citizenship automatically back then, bearing in mind I was born in The UK.?
It took me 6 months in 1990 to gather enough information from the authorities to be granted residency/work rights based on my heritage.

Is there a department I can approach to make the right inquiries?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed May 19, 2021 5:20 pm

Genghisuk wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:24 pm
Thank you for your answer,

The question is then: How do I found out what the law was regarding citizenship when I was born in 1968? Was I granted citizenship automatically back then, bearing in mind I was born in The UK.?
It took me 6 months in 1990 to gather enough information from the authorities to be granted residency/work rights based on my heritage.

Is there a department I can approach to make the right inquiries?
"Migri" in my previous post is a link.

Genghisuk

Post by Genghisuk » Wed May 19, 2021 5:41 pm

OK, thank you I can see the link now.
I will make an application and hopefully, that should get me the answers I require.