Car road tax

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jaatelo

Car road tax

Post by jaatelo » Sat May 22, 2021 10:40 pm

I just received a car road tax bill from Traficom in the amount of 500 eur. My car is parked in a garage and not currently in use. Can I somehow avoid paying this tax since the car is not being used?

Car road tax

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Car road tax

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 23, 2021 10:50 am

jaatelo wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:40 pm
I just received a car road tax bill from Traficom in the amount of 500 eur. My car is parked in a garage and not currently in use. Can I somehow avoid paying this tax since the car is not being used?
By decommissioning it until it’s used again.

https://www.traficom.fi/en/services/veh ... missioning

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sun May 23, 2021 2:09 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:50 am
jaatelo wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:40 pm
By decommissioning it until it’s used again.

https://www.traficom.fi/en/services/veh ... missioning

Depending on the due date of the bill, you might need to pay it anyway and get it back later when the car is registered as decommissioned or you can choose to have it kept by traficom (former trafi), to be credited on the next bill or to be refunded to a bank account of your choosing. You will automatically get a new bill for the remainder of the Tax period when you are commissioning it again.

It is advised to keep "osakasko" insurance continuing during this time in case of damage by vandalism / theft.

Please be aware that your car cannot be on a public parking place or roadside, it must be stored on/in private property while decommissioned.
Please be aware that most housing companies (if you live there) do have a rule that no decommissioned cars can be parked at their property (parking place of the housing company houses).

I have done this several times myself, you can do everything online using the web page of traficom and your bank ID codes if you have this service, there are costs involved so it is not advised to change this every day :lol: I do not know if there is a time or other limit on the amount of times a year you can do this. For my motorbike this seems depending on my insurance, here I have to wait 30 days before I can commission it again after I decommissioned it.

Good luck!
Last edited by NukkuMatti on Mon May 24, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 23, 2021 2:17 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:09 pm
Depending on the due date of the bill, you might need to pay it anyway and get it back later when the car is registered as decommissioned or you can choose to have it kept by vero, to be credited on the next bill or to be refunded to a bank account of your choosing. You will automatically get a new bill for the remainder of the Tax period when you are commissioning it again.
Vero is not involved.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon May 24, 2021 12:04 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:17 pm
NukkuMatti wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:09 pm
Depending on the due date of the bill, you might need to pay it anyway and get it back later when the car is registered as decommissioned or you can choose to have it kept by vero, to be credited on the next bill or to be refunded to a bank account of your choosing. You will automatically get a new bill for the remainder of the Tax period when you are commissioning it again.
Vero is not involved.
Thanks for pointing out that mixup of words,
I corrected it to traficom (former Trafi).