Confused About Strong Ties

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
merryberry

Post by merryberry » Thu May 27, 2021 1:43 am

I'm seeing differing opinions about what makes strong ties for citizenship. Do I qualify after taking yki test and having a job in IT for 4 years? But I don't have any family here and some people are saying that you need family or 5/6 in yki test. This is my residence time:

January 2015 to November 2019: Student Permit half time
November 2019 to now: Working permit full time.

Can I apply already?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Confused About Strong Ties

Post by tavastia » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:45 am

Even YKI alone is enough. See point 1 from https://migri.fi/en/-/tietyissa-tilante ... asumisaika

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:55 am

merryberry wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:43 am
I'm seeing differing opinions about what makes strong ties for citizenship. Do I qualify after taking yki test and having a job in IT for 4 years? But I don't have any family here and some people are saying that you need family or 5/6 in yki test. This is my residence time:

Can I apply already?
Having a job is enough.

” Säännöksen 1 momentin 1 kohta säilytettäisiin kuitenkin tarpeellisena, sillä asumisaikaa koskevien poikkeussäännösten soveltamisen tulisi jatkossakin edellyttää kiinteitä siteitä Suomeen. Tällaisina voitaisiin edelleen pitää esimerkiksi jatkuvia yhteyksiä Suomessa asuviin sukulaisiin tai Suomeen liittyvää työtä. On myös mahdollista, että hakijalla on sen kaltaista pitkään kestänyttä tilapäistä oleskelua Suomessa, jonka osalta tulisi harkittavaksi pidemmän ajan kuin puolet oleskellusta ajasta huomioon ottaminen. Kiinteiden siteiden Suomeen voitaisiin katsoa syntyvän myös silloin kun hakijan vanhempi tai isovanhempi on Suomen kansalainen.”

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/esitykset/he/2 ... p446804624

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:18 pm

merryberry wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:43 am

Can I apply already?
Migri does not consider time with temporary residence permits for strong ties.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:46 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:18 pm

Do you have some link to this information? I am not seeing this anywhere on migri website.

ShadowEn

Post by ShadowEn » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:51 am

heretostay wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:46 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:

Do you have some link to this information? I am not seeing this anywhere on migri website.
FinlandGirl has brought this up in the past, but it does not seem to be the case. I applied for citizenship after the 4 year period of residence mark, which was partially completed with a type B permit. During my appointment, I asked the migri person, who I met with, if I do have a sufficiently long period of residence. I was immediately told yes, then she took a closer look and said I definitely had "riittävä kauan aika Suomessa".

Perhaps FinlandGirl misinterpreted something on the migri website? I know the time spent here on a type B permit does not count if one is applying under a cumulative period of residence clause and one's period of residence is interrupted.

merryberry

Post by merryberry » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:34 pm

ShadowEn wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:51 am
heretostay wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:46 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:

FinlandGirl has brought this up in the past, but it does not seem to be the case. I applied for citizenship after the 4 year period of residence mark, which was partially completed with a type B permit. During my appointment, I asked the migri person, who I met with, if I do have a sufficiently long period of residence. I was immediately told yes, then she took a closer look and said I definitely had "riittävä kauan aika Suomessa".

Perhaps FinlandGirl misinterpreted something on the migri website? I know the time spent here on a type B permit does not count if one is applying under a cumulative period of residence clause and one's period of residence is interrupted.
Thanks for this. I will give it a shot anyway since I also haven’t seen anything about what FinlndGirl said. How did your appt go? Completely in Finnish? I have passed the Yki but I am of course a bit nervous.
Last edited by merryberry on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowEn

Post by ShadowEn » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:41 pm

merryberry wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:34 pm

Thanks for this. I will give it a shot anyway since I also haven’t seen anything about what FinlndGirl said. How did your appt go? Completely in Finnish? I have passed the Yki but I am of course a bit nervous.
My appointment went well. I was very nervous, but if you passed the YKI you should be fine. It was completely in Finnish, but the interviewer slowed down a little when I asked her to.

It went pretty similar to my previous appointments for the residence permit, with the exception that it was made very clear I shouldn't count on the Citizenship application being processed before my current residence permit expires. I was informed that I should I apply for a renewal at the appropriate time and get the renewal done without a break in residence permits or my citizenship application would be denied.

ShadowEn

Post by ShadowEn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:07 pm

enitan2002 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:57 pm

What's the time left you have on your current permit?
About 7 months. I submitted my Citizenship application in April, 2021.

ShadowEn

Post by ShadowEn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:13 pm

enitan2002 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:09 pm
ShadowEn wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:07 pm
enitan2002 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:57 pm

What's the time left you have on your current permit?
About 7 months. I submitted my Citizenship application in April, 2021.
Wow, that's quite short, I guess that was the reason why you were told that. On the website, it was stated one needs to have at least one year validity running on current permit when applying for the citizenship (I guess they are taking into account the long time it takes for the processing).
It probably is, but I can't apply for an extension until I receive my next work contract in September. I didn't see this information about the minimum 1 year validity when I submitted my application, or I would have waited before submitting my application. Could you please post a link to where it says this? I still can't find it on the Migri site myself.

ShadowEn

Post by ShadowEn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:32 pm

enitan2002 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:25 pm
The start date of your period of residence depends on the permit you had when you moved to Finland. If you move away from Finland, your period of residence will be interrupted. If you had a temporary residence permit before you got a continuous residence permit, a half of the time you lived in Finland with a temporary residence permit is included in your period of residence. In such a case, you need to have had a continuous residence permit for at least one year immediately before the Finnish Immigration Service makes a decision on your citizenship application. The time you have lived in Finland with a temporary residence permit can only be included in your continuous period of residence.

https://migri.fi/en/period-of-residence
Ah! Yes, I've read that. I took it to mean that for the calculation of the period of residence, one must have been living here with a class A permit at least a year prior to submitting the citizenship application. From my understanding, it does not state that the permit has to be valid for at least a year after one has submitted the application.

I should also add that during my appointment, the migri person I dealt with did not mention or bring up any such rule (that my permit has to be valid for at least a year after).

ShadowEn

Post by ShadowEn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:49 pm

enitan2002 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 pm
They don't need to bring it up, they assumed you must have read through all the requirements on the website before making your application.
You're quite right about that. It is our responsibility to make sure our documents are in order.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:49 am

enitan2002 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 pm
They don't need to bring it up, they assumed you must have read through all the requirements on the website before making your application.
There’s no such rule. There’s only advice due to citizenship processing being simplified when there’s no pending RP application. However, one is allowed to wait until the last day of the RP to submit an extension application.

ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:11 pm

enitan2002 wrote:
The start date of your period of residence depends on the permit you had when you moved to Finland. If you move away from Finland, your period of residence will be interrupted. If you had a temporary residence permit before you got a continuous residence permit, a half of the time you lived in Finland with a temporary residence permit is included in your period of residence. In such a case, you need to have had a continuous residence permit for at least one year immediately before the Finnish Immigration Service makes a decision on your citizenship application. The time you have lived in Finland with a temporary residence permit can only be included in your continuous period of residence.

Is this half of temporary residence period also considered for Permanent Resident (p)

ShadowEn

Post by ShadowEn » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 pm

ddfreedie wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:11 pm
enitan2002 wrote:

Is this half of temporary residence period also considered for Permanent Resident (p)
No, it is not considered. Only time spent in Finland while on a type A residence permit counts towards the Permanent Residence (type P permit) and towards the EU residence permit.
You may get a permanent residence permit if:

you have lived in Finland continuously for four years with a continuous residence permit (the A permit);
Source: https://migri.fi/en/permanent-residence-permit