Citizenship application question

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
morsey21

Post by morsey21 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 pm

Hi all,

I am a non-EU national and have a permanent residence permit here in Finland. Recently I got a research internship offer from a lab in Sweden for a period of 1.5 years (I am still doing my PhD in Helsinki ), starting August 2021 and I would get a salary from them for that.

I plan to write the YKI test in November and apply for citizenship thereafter by January 2022. My query is would my stay in Sweden for 1.5 years (for which I would need to get a Swedish residence permit I think), complicate my citizenship application?

Thanks,
Morish

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Citizenship application question

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:03 am

morsey21 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 pm
I am a non-EU national and have a permanent residence permit here in Finland. Recently I got a research internship offer from a lab in Sweden for a period of 1.5 years (I am still doing my PhD in Helsinki ), starting August 2021 and I would get a salary from them for that.

I plan to write the YKI test in November and apply for citizenship thereafter by January 2022. My query is would my stay in Sweden for 1.5 years (for which I would need to get a Swedish residence permit I think), complicate my citizenship application?
You cannot apply for Finnish citizenship when you have moved away from Finland.

heretostay

Re: Citizenship application question

Post by heretostay » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 pm

Even though it is an internship and you will stay enrolled in U of Helsinki, it will still interrupt your period of residence to leave Finland for that length of time. Better to get citizenship before the internship. Migri checks all travels outside of Finland when calculating your period of residence. You also need to be present in Finland (except short holiday trips) while your application is pending.