About Finnish Citizenship Application

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jesse2021

Post by jesse2021 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:37 am

Hello,
I have a question concerning applying for Finnish citizenship. I have been living in Finland for 9 years. I held a B-permit for students for 5 years and then proceeded to hold an A-permit thanks to a job I have been working to earn a regular stable income until today. My Finnish language is enough at a working level but I have never tried the language exam. I plan to apply for a permanent residence permit before applying for Finnish citizenship. But my colleague told me that I do not need to apply for a permanent residence permit any more, and I should try to pass the language exam and apply for the Finnish citizenship.
I hope this question does not raise any annoyance for anyone. I also read the information on migri.fi many times and there is no mention that I need to gain the permanent residence status before being eligible for Finnish citizenship application. So, my question is do I need to gain the permanent residence status before being eligible for Finnish citizenship application ? If not, it will be a little bit confusing for me as to the purpose of permanent residence permit.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: About Finnish Citizenship Application

Post by tavastia » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:09 am

No. You don't need to have a permanent status. Anyway, after 4 years of A you are eligible for the permanent residence and you shall apply it even you later will get Finnish citizenship.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:21 am

jesse2021 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:37 am
If not, it will be a little bit confusing for me as to the purpose of permanent residence permit.
Everyone can’t take Finnish citizenship. For example, many people are not allowed dual citizenship and don’t want to give up their current one.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:20 pm

jesse2021 wrote:
I have a question concerning applying for Finnish citizenship. I have been living in Finland for 9 years. I held a B-permit for students for 5 years and then proceeded to hold an A-permit thanks to a job I have been working to earn a regular stable income until today. My Finnish language is enough at a working level but I have never tried the language exam. I plan to apply for a permanent residence permit before applying for Finnish citizenship. But my colleague told me that I do not need to apply for a permanent residence permit any more, and I should try to pass the language exam and apply for the Finnish citizenship.
Getting a decision on a citizenship application can take a year, and you cannot get a positive decision without a valid residence permit at the time when the decision is being made.
If you got a 1 year A after graduation and are now on a 4 year extension, you might end up anyhow applying for P if you don't get a decision on the citizenship application in time before your current residence permit expires.

Applying for a permanent residence permit now would also be less stress than trying to get a place in the language exam in October or November, having pressure to pass, and then hoping for a fast decision on the citizenship application.

PasilanKaveri

Post by PasilanKaveri » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:41 pm

jesse2021 wrote:
Hello
You already got some answer, but you should apply for the Permanent RP as most of us did. Also, book an appointment at migri 6 months before your A permit expires!

PasilanKaveri

Post by PasilanKaveri » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:45 pm

PasilanKaveri wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:41 pm
jesse2021 wrote:
Hello
You already got some answer, but you should apply for the Permanent RP as most of us did. Also, book an appointment at migri 6 months before your A permit expires!
For example, if you RP expires in February 2022, I suggest you to start to look soon to book an appointment at migri, let's say, in November to apply for the permanent. Even if it doesn't take a lot.