what is benefit of citizenship ?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
kelly1992

Post by kelly1992 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:34 pm

I have permit type ´p´i think it stands for permenet ? if i dont do anything thing wrong i guess i have no problem with my residence in finland
but i read here here topic and it seems everyone wants to get a citizenship.

if you have no problem of living in finland why ppl wants to change it ? is there benefit out of it ?
i am just asking really out of curious after i read many of question here..

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: what is benefit of citizenship ?

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:37 pm

kelly1992 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:34 pm
I have permit type ´p´i think it stands for permenet ? if i dont do anything thing wrong i guess i have no problem with my residence in finland
but i read here here topic and it seems everyone wants to get a citizenship.

if you have no problem of living in finland why ppl wants to change it ? is there benefit out of it ?
Citizens can vote in more elections and travel abroad more easily (depending on the previous citizenship) to name a couple benefits.

DMC

Post by DMC » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:54 pm

Are there any government jobs open only to citizens? If so, would such jobs be open to naturalised citizens? I am thinking of work for the police or the armed forces or at embassies for example.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:53 pm

kelly1992 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:34 pm
The most relevant benefits are usually:
- The Finnish passport is among the ones with most visa-free travel options.
- Finnish citizenship is EU citizenship, it also gives you the right to live and work in 30 other countries.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:55 pm

DMC wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:54 pm
Are there any government jobs open only to citizens? If so, would such jobs be open to naturalised citizens? I am thinking of work for the police or the armed forces or at embassies for example.
Yes and yes (though Russian dual citizens have had issues – long story).

Mrpotatis

Post by Mrpotatis » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:31 pm

Citizenship is a whole new life for every person who gets it. When you get citizenship, you become a finn and Finland becomes your new home. I have lived in a third country my whole life and was born in it (Country other than my nationality and other than Finland). I always treated that country like home as I have never lived in the country of my nationality at all. that was until I had to leave (no grounds to stay anymore based on their law, even if I was born and raised and lived my whole life there. and they do not grant citizenships). Imagine the depression realising that home was not home all the time? but ofc, no citizenship = you cannot treat it like home and you do not have a citizen's rights.
So this long story may tell you a bit how important citizenship is. I believe if someone loves Finland and wants to live here and fulfils the requirements, they should apply for citizenship. They love the place and feel like home in it so why not become a part of its citizens population? They deserve it after all as a welcome to the new home as they surely did contribute to society and probably willing to continue.

with citizenship comes rights and obligations
- You can vote in local and EU elections to make a change
- You are obligated to go to army If you are a man under 30. Just like other citizens by birth.
- You are by law belonging to this land. You are free to come back and leave by constitution. As I said it becomes home (not a residency that can be terminated).
- You are eligible for a passport which may or may not make your life easier based on your previous citizenship.
- You get all EU citizen's rights including seeking protection from Finnish/EU embassy when abroad.
- to some, having an additional citizenship offers some additional security in their lives considering our current world filled with political instabilities. Think of Brexit, it has changed British expats lives in a short time. They suddenly lost all their EU citizen's rights ( I do not want to get political here but I would say they could have saved themselves from it by caring enough about using the wasted votes that did not bother about the whole thing)
- Some (only a few jobs) require citizenship. Mostly related to national security

And ofc the country benefits a lot from granting people who fulfil naturalisation requirements citizenships but that's another topic and not your question
Hope it answers your concern

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:48 pm

Mrpotatis wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:31 pm
Voting in local elections does not require citizenship. EU elections are open to all EU citizens.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:12 pm

Mrpotatis wrote:
- You are by law belonging to this land. You are free to come back and leave by constitution. As I said it becomes home (not a residency that can be terminated).
A permanent RP can rarely be cancelled unless you choose to move away.

There are interesting legal and practical questions to what land people with multiple citizenships belong, like having people with dual Finnish/Russian citizenship serving in an army to defend against a Russian invasion.
Finland started only a few years ago to permit dual citizenship, it would be perfectly reasonable for a new government to revert that and make people with more than one citizenship choose to either give up all other citizenships or lose their Finnish citizenship.

Mrpotatis

Post by Mrpotatis » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:13 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:48 pm
Mrpotatis wrote:
Voting in local elections does not require citizenship. EU elections are open to all EU citizens.
Bro/sis there is quite a few continents outside Europe. People in finalnd can be originally from there also 😝😝 and local elections I am referring to parliament.