While abroad....

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Y77

While abroad....

Post by Y77 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:12 pm

Does anybody else feels that after many years living in Finland every time you go abroad it feels really like a disorganized, noisy, crowded and dangerous experience? Probably this is what people just released from mental institutions feel once in the outside world.

While abroad....

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

NukkuMatti

Re: While abroad....

Post by NukkuMatti » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can sooo relate to that....

Especially in traffic.. it is like stepping in an ANTHILL!! Just comparing Kehä I to the A4 around Amsterdam... :lol:

(I can't even imagine going to Cairo with 20 million inhabitants :shock: )..

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:05 am

NukkuMatti wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:44 pm
(I can't even imagine going to Cairo with 20 million inhabitants :shock: )..
I hope this quote will help your imagination:
"The problem with noise pollution in Cairo is not a new phenomenon. A report by the Egyptian National Research Center in 2007 found that noise pollution reached an average of 90 decibels (dB) and never dropped under 70 dB."
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:13 am

Y77 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:12 pm
every time you go abroad it feels really like a disorganized, noisy, crowded and dangerous experience
I think it depends where you go. Every time I go back to the UK I am greeted by clear road signs (in upper+lower case not ALL IN UPPER CASE LIKE IN FINLAND), road markings and signs that are unambiguous even when you use a junction for the first time, white lines and signs match, people follow speed limits though roadworks. Try doing 50km/h through the Ring 1 roadworks where the tram in being built and you will be overtaken by 95% of traffic.

I've lost track of the mistakes i've seen on finnish roads. 40 painted in a circle on the road surface next to a sign which says 30. The surface relaid with bricks to form a raised circle in the middle (as if a small roundabout) but signs mark it as a T junction. A stop line across the road but no stop sign or traffic lights (5 years ago there was a fire station at that point with traffic lights). All these things are common in Finland and the mistakes are left in place for years unrectified. Here's a "T junction" which was photographed 10 years ago and still looks the same today: https://goo.gl/maps/opbDRhvABn6UUtet9

Trains are no better. They ran out of platforms at Tampere and now put two trains on the same platform, one at each end. But the displays downstairs just show the platform number. This is no fun when you find two trains on platform 2 and run to one of them only to find you've run to the wrong train and the train you want is at the other end of platform 2.

Large numbers of people do not automatically make things disoganized. I have had no trouble taking trains and the metro in Tokyo, a city of 14 million. Everything clear and obvious. And their ticketing system works out the price for you when you tap your card. No researching the fare zones because you yourself must price your journey before you tap in Helsinki!! Plus everyone pays the same price for the same ticket. No two tier pricing depending whether you're a resident or tourist!

Y77

Post by Y77 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:12 am

riku2 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:13 am
Y77 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:12 pm
every time you go abroad it feels really like a disorganized, noisy, crowded and dangerous experience
I think it depends where you go. Every time I go back to the UK I am greeted by clear road signs (in upper+lower case not ALL IN UPPER CASE LIKE IN FINLAND), road markings and signs that are unambiguous even when you use a junction for the first time, white lines and signs match, people follow speed limits though roadworks. Try doing 50km/h through the Ring 1 roadworks where the tram in being built and you will be overtaken by 95% of traffic.

I've lost track of the mistakes i've seen on finnish roads. 40 painted in a circle on the road surface next to a sign which says 30. The surface relaid with bricks to form a raised circle in the middle (as if a small roundabout) but signs mark it as a T junction. A stop line across the road but no stop sign or traffic lights (5 years ago there was a fire station at that point with traffic lights). All these things are common in Finland and the mistakes are left in place for years unrectified. Here's a "T junction" which was photographed 10 years ago and still looks the same today: https://goo.gl/maps/opbDRhvABn6UUtet9

Trains are no better. They ran out of platforms at Tampere and now put two trains on the same platform, one at each end. But the displays downstairs just show the platform number. This is no fun when you find two trains on platform 2 and run to one of them only to find you've run to the wrong train and the train you want is at the other end of platform 2.

Large numbers of people do not automatically make things disoganized. I have had no trouble taking trains and the metro in Tokyo, a city of 14 million. Everything clear and obvious. And their ticketing system works out the price for you when you tap your card. No researching the fare zones because you yourself must price your journey before you tap in Helsinki!! Plus everyone pays the same price for the same ticket. No two tier pricing depending whether you're a resident or tourist!
the biggest problem on the roads in finland is driving while on the phone, The police concentrates on drinking and driving checks, but as someone that was almost ran over while crossing on a zebra crossing, by a moron talking on the phone, I can tell you that the phone is as dangerous as alchohol or even more.
From the balcony on my flat I can see the road and, I'm not joking, at least 60% of the drivers either speak or text holding a mobile phone, then there is someone holding a kebab while driving or, the summer special: holding an ice cream while driving. Then there is even someone holding a phone on one hand and a fag in the other, holding the steering wheel with the 2 remaining fingers

riku2

Post by riku2 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:30 pm

the biggest problem on the roads in finland is driving while on the phone
Yes, if you stand at a junction in finland and watch cars go past then in a few minutes you will see several drivers go past using the phone.
When I visit the UK for a whole week I might see one person driving and using the phone - in the UK even holding the phone when stopped at traffic lights is not allowed and the police enforcement is massively higher than in Finland, get caught twice and you lose your licence. End result - almost nobody is driving around using their phone in the UK.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:12 am

riku2 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:30 pm
the biggest problem on the roads in finland is driving while on the phone
Yes, if you stand at a junction in finland and watch cars go past then in a few minutes you will see several drivers go past using the phone.
When I visit the UK for a whole week I might see one person driving and using the phone - in the UK even holding the phone when stopped at traffic lights is not allowed and the police enforcement is massively higher than in Finland, get caught twice and you lose your licence. End result - almost nobody is driving around using their phone in the UK.
Indeed, and I don't get it because the majority of the cars I see, with people calling, are standard equipped with Bluetooth hands-free for mobile phones.
I guess the majority of Finnish people does not understand (to dumb??) how to let your phone automatically connect when you get into the car...
Don't know how to use google or Apple speech commands to read out a message or dictate a message.... oh wait... that does not work in Finnish of course.... need to use English.... that explains everything :lol: :lol:

What is the fine in Finland for holding a phone while driving??
They have a TAX- tip line... why not a calling while driving tip line for your dash cam footage... would save more lives than the tax rat out line..and probably earn more too...