being ripped off by Fence builder registered as vegetable oil producer

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in search of some legal information about actions to be taken and or possibilities to prevent someone from being scammed out of all of her savings.

One of my dear friends (she is not a native Finn) studied lived and worked here already for more than a decade and now she faces an abusive fence builder (also not native) trying to bill her out of all of her savings.

Basically the issue is the following: She never signed anything but she paid the first amount requested for the building materials, about 2000€ for a fence around her garden.
Now the guy has sent her the second bill for the work done and suddenly states in the bill that several parts of the fence are not included in the work. (she will need to pay more for that). The amount of hours mentioned in the bill are not specified but a total sum of 2520€ is mentioned as payment for the work (according to verbal inquiry: done by 3 men en 60 hours, which is definitely not true), so the total not finished fence will cost her about 4500€ while this should have been the total sum of the whole fence. (as I understood)

So I did some researching and found that the y-tunnus belongs to the same guy but it is for a food oil producing company (Oy).'The guy also has another registration as a one man company, and his brother that is board member of the Oy, also has another one man company, non of them in contruction.
I also found out that the Oy, basically never has made a decent profit, only several years a loss and lat year a loss of 16.000 with a turnover of 40.000 (sound fishy).

I will paste my findings under here including a picture of the 2nd bill (NOT a contract, nothing was signed or ordered).
Also a picture of the fence, which is in my opinion not worth the price hence it is not meeting the quality standards I am familiar with when paying so much money.

In any case, as I understood, the gate and finishing and painting was supposed to be included but seems to be moved out of the work now in this bill, that does not read like a bill but more of a contract. No previous bill was ever received.

It seems the guy made up this bill quickly to force her to pay, everything in the description on the bill is new and has never been signed for.

Then there is the payment time, which should be at least 14 days legally, (as far as my knowledge goes) and is now only 3 days.

This whole job and the construction with the companies of this guy stinks…

Is there anyone who can give some advice in the legal sense (betelgeuse??)

Would be greatly appreciated.

Sourced public available information:
Deleted to prevent defamation claims..

Pictures of the fence, removed the bill to prevent obstruction of legal procedures.
Last edited by NukkuMatti on Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: being ripped off by Fence builder registered as vegetable oil producer

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:48 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:20 pm
So I did some researching and found that the y-tunnus belongs to the same guy but it is for a food oil producing company (Oy).
The registration states only the main line of business, usually a business is registered for the main line of business "and all other legal business activities".
NukkuMatti wrote:
The guy also has another registration as a one man company, and his brother that is board member of the Oy, also has another one man company
The board membership is legally required, two brothers each being the sole board member of the other brothers Oy is quite normal.
NukkuMatti wrote:
I also found out that the Oy, basically never has made a decent profit, only several years a loss and lat year a loss of 16.000 with a turnover of 40.000 (sound fishy).
One could also read these numbers you call "fishy" as "same costs as the year before, but one third of revenue lost".
Like when a company is mainly selling to restaurants, and suddenly a pandemic starts.
NukkuMatti wrote:
One of my dear friends (she is not a native Finn) studied lived and worked here already for more than a decade and now she faces an abusive fence builder (also not native) trying to bill her out of all of her savings.
She should consult a lawyer.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:08 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
It seems the guy made up this bill quickly to force her to pay, everything in the description on the bill is new and has never been signed for.
A disputed (with cause) bill can only be collected through courts.

"Tämän lain mukaista perintää ei saa jatkaa, jos velallinen kiistää maksuvelvollisuutensa.

Perintää saa kiistämisestä huolimatta jatkaa, jos velallinen ei esitä kiistämiselle perustetta tai vetoaa ainoastaan sellaiseen perusteeseen, jolla selvästi ei ole vaikutusta velallisen maksuvelvollisuuteen."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 990513#P4b

The merits of the case are best left to lawyers. See also

https://www.kkv.fi/en/consumer-advice/

Usually scrupulous contractors are not willing to take matters to court.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:59 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:08 pm
NukkuMatti wrote:
A disputed (with cause) bill can only be collected through courts.

"Tämän lain mukaista perintää ei saa jatkaa, jos velallinen kiistää maksuvelvollisuutensa.

Perintää saa kiistämisestä huolimatta jatkaa, jos velallinen ei esitä kiistämiselle perustetta tai vetoaa ainoastaan sellaiseen perusteeseen, jolla selvästi ei ole vaikutusta velallisen maksuvelvollisuuteen."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 990513#P4b

The merits of the case are best left to lawyers. See also

https://www.kkv.fi/en/consumer-advice/

Usually scrupulous contractors are not willing to take matters to court.
Thank you again for your great knowledge of Finnish law!! exactly what she needed.

She told me she has an online legal advisor that helped her sent a complaint to contest the bill to the company (step one)...

to be continued..

PS, it came to my knowledge that several other clients of this person have similar complaints about being ripped off...so maybe he is shady after all.. but I got no proof of that...