Electric socket in car park

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:00 pm

Hi

I have a vague question. The car parking have electrical socket in them to enable the heater in the car.
Can we use that to change Hybrid/electric cars?
Does all electric port comes with timer that it cannot be switched on entire night?
I live in a rented apartment and looking to get an hybrid/EV car and hence checking the possible ways until i move to an apartment which has electric charging.

TIA.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Electric socket in car park

Post by heretostay » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:12 pm

You have to check with the landlord or housing company. Sometimes it is allowed and sometimes not. Sometimes they have timers. One place I rented allowed it in theory but the power wasn’t enough to actually charge the car once I moved in and tried it.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:12 pm

In my (limited) experience they are usually limited to about 2 hours and have timers so you can start it ~2 hours before you need to drive. Most were probably installed before anyone thought of electric cars!

ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:09 pm

If i really plan to get an EV, I do not need the power to charge but to keep my battery warm (in a way to avoid discharge) in winters.
But if its all 2 hours, then its a deal breaker.

1. I was hoping there will not be any timer
2. They (Maintenance) will allow me to use it for my EV

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:05 pm

ddfreedie wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:09 pm
If i really plan to get an EV, I do not need the power to charge but to keep my battery warm (in a way to avoid discharge) in winters.
But if its all 2 hours, then its a deal breaker.
Why do you want to keep the battery warm when you aren't using it?
Heating the battery 2 hours before driving should be sufficient for a good temperature when you start driving.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:31 am

An EV battery will discharge in cold weather even when the car isn’t used. So keeping the battery warm prevents you from losing the charge you have.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:37 pm

In our car park they don't even allow using an in-car electric heater and only use of an engine block heater is allowed. All the posts have a timer which allows 2h on per day.
With an in-car heater it's not really possible for others to know what you are doing - the snow might melt due to a petrol powered heater but charging an EV will definitely be obvious due to the different cable design and neighbours might complain (even if you are using just 2h/day) because they will be effectively paying for your car to be charged.

ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:27 pm

Valid points.
Guess these points make me think I should go for EV only after i get an own apartment/apartment rent which has electric charging facility...
Also with the improvements in EV cars, in a few years we may start getting cars with 1000 km range and we may opt for hybrid now (trying to convince myself :D )

burak25

Post by burak25 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:58 pm

Actually many modern places have parking spaces designed for EV charging. They just ask you to pay more monthly fee.
I lived in a building like that (2011 made) in Tampere and actually whole car electric plug was digital that you can set timer etc online.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:22 pm

heretostay wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:31 am
An EV battery will discharge in cold weather even when the car isn’t used. So keeping the battery warm prevents you from losing the charge you have.
Lithium will discharge in cold, but even more when warm. So keeping battery warm does not prevent you from losing charge. Just warm it up before use.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:11 pm

Upphew wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:22 pm
heretostay wrote:
Lithium will discharge in cold, but even more when warm. So keeping battery warm does not prevent you from losing charge. Just warm it up before use.
I own an EV only car and this is not how it works in practice. With car parked and off when -10 degrees outside drains the battery significantly. Warming up before use helps once driving but doesnt prevent battery discharge when parked.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:46 am

heretostay wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:11 pm
Upphew wrote:
heretostay wrote:
I own an EV only car and this is not how it works in practice. With car parked and off when -10 degrees outside drains the battery significantly. Warming up before use helps once driving but doesnt prevent battery discharge when parked.
It is the battery capacity that changes based on the temperature, it doesn't affect the charge level. Effectively it may seem the same, but obviously the battery doesn't drain when it's cold and recharge itself when it's warm.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:16 pm

heretostay wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:11 pm
Upphew wrote:
heretostay wrote:
I'll have to take your word on that, as I do not have EV. Iirc Lithium ion batteries, when stored, call for refresher charge in a year, if storage temperature is between -20 and 20. If the storage temperature is between -20 and 50 degrees, then the charge should be done weekly.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.