Procedure to sell car in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ogiv

Post by ogiv » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:56 am

Hello - I have a car that I need to sell. What is the procedure to sell a car in Finland?

In USA, we would just need to sign over the title of the car. Do we need to send any information to Trafi regarding the car sale?

Regards
Ogiv

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Procedure to sell car in Finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:03 am

ogiv wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:56 am
Hello - I have a car that I need to sell. What is the procedure to sell a car in Finland?

In USA, we would just need to sign over the title of the car. Do we need to send any information to Trafi regarding the car sale?

Regards
Ogiv
See https://www.traficom.fi/en/transport/ro ... ed-vehicle

ogiv

Post by ogiv » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:14 am

@FinnGuyHelsinki - Thanks for the quick response.

Could I also ask you few more queries about selling car in Finland?

- What are the best places to advertise about selling car - Any site other than Nettiauto ?
- Which are the good 2nd hand car dealerships ?

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:02 pm

ogiv wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:14 am
@FinnGuyHelsinki - Thanks for the quick response.

Could I also ask you few more queries about selling car in Finland?

- What are the best places to advertise about selling car - Any site other than Nettiauto ?
E.g. https://www.autotalli.com/ , https://autot.tori.fi/vaihtoautot
ogiv wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:14 am
- Which are the good 2nd hand car dealerships ?
I think you'll have to ask around for offers, possibly you can get a better price from official dealers of the same brand of cars as yours. In general, you can get the best price when selling directly to an individual, albeit of course it will take a bit more effort (advertising, showing the car for potential buyers,...).

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:49 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:02 pm
I think you'll have to ask around for offers, possibly you can get a better price from official dealers of the same brand of cars as yours. In general, you can get the best price when selling directly to an individual, albeit of course it will take a bit more effort (advertising, showing the car for potential buyers,...).
Keep in mind that dealers that will buy your car (not all of them want to) will check the price of a similar car on nettiauto and will search for the lowest priced one, then offer you about 1000€ - 3000€ less, depending on the age and value... They will not do anything but wash it and put it up for sale again for the same amount as the others at nettiauto.
In most cases they do not even check the car thoroughly, just superficial and sometimes not at all.. their price is purely based on age and miles.

A car on nettiauto of about 22.000,- € will get you at a dealer about 19.000,- €
A car on nettiauto of about 15.000,- € will get you at a dealer about 12.500,- €
A car on Nettiauto of about 4000 € will get you at a dealer about 3000 €

Better sell it yourself, young occasions are hot right now due to people wanting other cars and chip shortages preventing car deliveries for new cars, average waiting time for some models of Toyota are now 6-8 months (my neighbor ordered a new corolla hybrid last month and delivery is in march or april next year).

When buying from a dealer, they will also not tell you anything about possible damage history, they will either say that it has no damage history, or say their system does not show any of such history. Insist on a year warranty to be included in the price.. if they do not want to give that, don't buy the car! There is something wrong with it.

3 years ago:
When I wanted to buy a 2nd hand toyota yaris at the toyota dealer in Niittykumpu (Espoo) they let me drive it and I heard the engine ticking more than it should, more like a diesel... so I drove to a parking place and opened the hood, saw a new fresh layer of liquid sealant all around the cylinder head / valve cover. Conclusion, it had been serviced and the valves probably wrongly timed or adjusted..
When asking the sales manager at my return at the toyota dealer, he had the history checked and no such repair was listed, according to them it was normal sound... I took another same age same model same engine Toyota from their showroom and started it for a test drive, it was silent... they lied!!!

So beware, the dealers are most likely the biggest crooks when it comes to selling and buying cars...
At the Volvo occasion dealer (Espoo, next to Bilia) it was even worse, I wanted to buy a 2nd hand car, and the sales guy was just not interested in helping me, he did not want to get a car ready for a test drive and did not want to answer any questions about the car and it's history... just said that this info and service while buying a volvo, is for most people not important so he does not know. He said people drive volvo for it's image... :o :o :shock:

I refuse to believe it was because I spoke English......but I have heard different stories about that..

So I bought the Volvo at a no brand sales man in Vantaa instead...and I just sold it a week ago again for a real good price, privately by Tori.fi

ogiv

Post by ogiv » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:24 am

@FinnGuyHelsinki - Thanks for the links. @NukkuMatti - Thanks for the detailed answer.

I went to Kamux today to check this. They did exactly as you mentioned in your answer. They just checked the price online on Nettiauto and showed me that the car value is between 3500 to 4000, and offered me 2000.

Maybe I will post an ad on Nettiauto and check if someone is interested in giving me a bit more than 2000. The car is in a good driving condition and the only reason I am selling it is because I have opted for a company car.

I wonder if the ad should be written in Finnish to get better response.

Warm Regards
Ogiv