maple syrup

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
mumboman

maple syrup

Post by mumboman » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:42 pm

is maple syrup readily availble. I like to have it on my pancakes every sunday morning

maple syrup

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

graham

Post by graham » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:13 pm

I found what was labelled as the genuine US stuff in a sqeezy bottle in Stockmans but at over 10euros for quite a small bottle I tend to save it for waffles etc on special occasions like Christmas or birthday breakfasts!

It does taste good though.....
The time has come, the walrus said to talk of many things....

mumboman

Post by mumboman » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:18 pm

it has to be canadian the american stuff isn't quite right

Xochiquetzal

Post by Xochiquetzal » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:06 pm

mumboman wrote:it has to be canadian the american stuff isn't quite right
The short answer is 'no' if you want the really good Canadian stuff, unfortunately. I'm dying here for Canadian maple sugar candies - I can't even get enough Canadian maple syrup (at a reasonable price, nonetheless) to make 'em.

There is maple syrup, the North American kind, on sale at various places. But it is the American brands or British versions. The "Canadian" branded syrup tastes rather industrial American to me. Perhaps you will like it enough.

I recommend bringing a few bottles with you - enough to last you until the next time you visit Canada.
Last edited by Xochiquetzal on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

karen

Post by karen » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:26 pm

I've found a couple of brands of maple syrup in the K-shops. I think it's EUR 4,50-ish for about 250-300 ml. I like it and I pay that price for it.

karo

Post by karo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:57 am

We buy maple syrup all the time here, so yes, it's readily available. The stuff they sell at Valintatalo, Alepa, S-Market, K-Market, Prisma - almost everywhere, I find - is called "Maple Jack - Real Canadian Maple Syrup" :D It's pretty good in my opinion, but I'm no real expert myself. It's definitely more expensive than in Canada, but it's not 10 euros for a bottle. It's 4 or 4,50.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:55 am

mumboman wrote:it has to be canadian the american stuff isn't quite right

*GASP* I would say the opposite

It has to be the real American stuff because anything else doesn't quite cut it. And no Aunt Jemina's either.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

mumboman

Post by mumboman » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:02 am

Caroline is greatly mistaken

karo

Post by karo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:20 pm

Here's a correction to what I said earlier :)
The maple syrup we buy here is called Maple Joe, not Maple Jack. It comes in a glass bottle, and YES, it's a product of Canada :D though it's then packed in France and imported to Finland by Inex Partners, who deliver their goods to Alepa, Siwa, Sale, S-Market, Valintatalo, Euromarket, Prisma, and ABC around Finland. I'm sure you can definitely get it in Kuopio. I've always been able to find it in the Alepa on Helsinginkatu in our hood here in Helsinki.

Montana

Post by Montana » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:13 pm

Canadian maple syrup is good and is readily available here, but please don't knock good American maple syrup until you've tried it. And I don't mean Mrs. Butterworth's or whatever! Those aren't even maple syrups, they are made of corn syrup. I'm talking about real maple syrup - e.g. from Wisconsin or Vermont. This stuff is the best. Before my grandpa died, he used to always send me a tin of Wisconsin maple syrup every year for Christmas. Mmmmm, it was so good. It came in a tin shaped like a log cabin & you had to drill a hole in the seal under the cap to get it open. Oh, that brings back such good memories. I miss that stuff & my grandpa. :(

- Erin

Montana

Post by Montana » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:16 pm

Ok, this is kind of stupid, but I thought I'd share it anyway. When I was a kid, my dad always wrote the same poem in his Valentine's Day card to me every year. I thought I'd share it with y'all since this thread reminded me of it.

Roses are red,
Violets are purple.
I love you,
and maple syrple.

:D

mumboman

Post by mumboman » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:18 pm

I'm sure the real stuff from the states is probably just as good as the real Canadian stuff. We in Canada think of American maple syrup as the generic brand name stuff. aunt jemima etc... Ok but no comparison to the real thing.

pihlaja

Post by pihlaja » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:38 am

I bought that Maple Syrup that comes in the glass bottle and I thought it tasted horrible. In fact, I have yet to find an EXCELLENT syrup here--yet.

However, the Vaalea Siirappi by DanSuker is actually pretty good. It comes in a little yellow carton and I've always found it at just about every place I've gone grocery shopping (Prisma, K-SuperMarket and CityMarket, Eurospar, etc). So, for those that don't like the typical maple syrup that is usually offered here, try the one by DanSuker.
"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself." - Albert Einstein

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:30 am

mumboman wrote:I'm sure the real stuff from the states is probably just as good as the real Canadian stuff. We in Canada think of American maple syrup as the generic brand name stuff. aunt jemima etc... Ok but no comparison to the real thing.

That's where the misunderstanding comes in. Real American syrup is not produced in a chemistry lab. It's made by drilling holes into maple trees, letting the sap drip into buckets, and boiling the sap "forever" until it becomes syrup. It takes about 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup, plus the sugaring season in the U.S. is short, and for these reasons the stuff is more valuable than gold.

Here's what I've got in my fridge

Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

sayx

Post by sayx » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:33 am

I'm a Canuck from the Maple syrup capital, and there is nothing in Finland. I dont even think you can buy real maple syrup in the stores in Canada (I have never looked) I'm talking about the stuff you get on the side of the road from the Minonites. I have ran out about 6 months ago. if i go back at xmas i'll be getting another 4liter container to last me a couple more years. i'm looking for nazelnut coffee and cant find any here.
Image Serving my 9th year of a life sentence with no chance of early parole