Banks

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jcooper

Banks

Post by jcooper » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:48 pm

Hi folks, anyone know how to convert Finnish bank account numbers to IBAN numbers?

For instance Nordea

166030-110455

Need to pay for my suomi kieli.

Who is this dog Franks?

Banks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

eashton

Re: Banks

Post by eashton » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:55 pm

jcooper wrote:Hi folks, anyone know how to convert Finnish bank account numbers to IBAN numbers?

For instance Nordea

166030-110455

Need to pay for my suomi kieli.
Nordea's prefix in Helsinki is FI95 so I think your IBAN would be

FI95 166030 00 110455

You can also look on the card they gave you when you opened the account as it should have the IBAN on there.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:35 pm

There is a big link FETCH IBAN NUMBER when you go to the web-bank atleast in Finnish.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:52 pm

Cheers guys, only here a week and I've to pay for the Finnish classes online, via my Dutch Bank account. Finding out a recipients IBAN number is quite a pain in the backside.

The fact that the transaction is irrevocable means that if I get it wrong I loose my money. Quite a system
Who is this dog Franks?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:50 pm

You need to ask them. No IBAN=no money. They'll learn quick.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:13 am

If you bank through Nordea, they have a link at the main menu where you can get the IBAN number for that account (depending if you have serveral accounts of course). but either way, its there, in Finnish or English.

If you bank through another company, then it should be somewhere on their web UI...if not, then contact them. Hank is right, if they dont give you an IBAN number, they will learn quickly as they get no money.

I am sure you can get the IBAN number for your bank account very easily with a quick phone call or even an email.

Hope it helps...
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:42 pm

Cheers all,
I was trying to send a payment from ABN Amro to Nordea, but had no way of knowing what the Nordea. The Nordea account was actually the account of Helsingin Yliopisto,so I'd no link to help me find the IBAN number.

The funniest thing is that no such easy to use service exist to do a lookup based on known information.

Swift the company responsible for many if not most of the worlds international fund transfers, offers possibly the worst techical solution I've ever come across.....welcome to IT from the 80s!!
Who is this dog Franks?

daive

Post by daive » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:03 pm

jcooper wrote:Cheers all,
I was trying to send a payment from ABN Amro to Nordea, but had no way of knowing what the Nordea. The Nordea account was actually the account of Helsingin Yliopisto,so I'd no link to help me find the IBAN number.

The funniest thing is that no such easy to use service exist to do a lookup based on known information.

Swift the company responsible for many if not most of the worlds international fund transfers, offers possibly the worst techical solution I've ever come across.....welcome to IT from the 80s!!
That's nothing, it took me a week to recieve the correct IBAN and swift codes for my Natwest branch in the UK, so I could transfer some money to my uk accounts. Twice I was given the wrong information when enquiring on the phone and also someone going into my branch in the UK. They are completely incompetent. I then called their UK helpline (at great expense) and after going through 3 people who couldn't help, I got the digits and sequence I needed... hmmm!

The IBAN codes should appear on bank statements, would save a lot of time.