How to copy a DVD?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
simakun

How to copy a DVD?

Post by simakun » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:50 pm

I've got a 2.5 hr home-made video recorded on a DVD. Does anyone know how I can make a copy of it? Can I do it on my home computer (I've got easy CD creator but not sure how to use it)? what else do I need? Or should I goto a professional? Any recommendations of places or people? thanks for any and all advice!

How to copy a DVD?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:20 pm

You need a DVD burner and a DVD copying program. Easy cd creator will not work because the program will need to be 'authored'. In lay terms it will need a program that can set it up to be read by a dvd player. There are specific programs that do just this. Give me a moment and I'll get you some links.

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:48 pm

Ah the beauty of owning a Mac, one click and its done :)

But if you're a PC owner just search Copy DVDs and Google will run loads of links.

If you end up being stuck I can do it for you if you supply a DVDR
Who is this dog Franks?

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:47 pm

sayx

Post by sayx » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:45 am

What I do for my DVD’s is first rip them from the cd to hard drive with SmartRipper.exe then separate the files with MpegUtils.exe if needed then I encode them in to divx file format with FlaskMpeg. It took me 20 or so tries before I got good rips that would play on my computer that is hooked to my TV. If you have an older/slower computer it can take you up to 24-30 hours to do this (PIII 800). 4-5 hours on my P4 2.8. you will loss quality but hay my son is not complaining about his muumi’s being a little low quality. You can then burn it to CD. Another way is to rip it as VCD and use your normal cd burner and play it in most newer DVD players.

Dave

jwesthues

Post by jwesthues » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:56 am

jcooper wrote:Ah the beauty of owning a Mac, one click and its done :)
A fellow Mac owner... good to know that there are a few of us out there. Just to expose some of my technical incompetence with computers, how do you do that? I didn't think you could do that with iDVD. Is it just copying the files over? That can't be it.

- Jukka

simakun

Post by simakun » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:14 pm

thanks for the advice everyone. i looked at a few sites thru google and the ones Mikie suggested. i am kinda reluctant to spend that much on the required DVD to DVD software cos this is a one-off thing and i probably won't ever need to copy stuff again. that and i don't even have a credit card. the freeware offered by dvdshrink was interesting but i was repeatedly barred from downloading it. It provided software for copying DVD to CD which they call a "back-up" as opposed to burning. what's the difference? the footage i need copied occupies the entire DVDR (4.7GB) so can it fit onto 700MB without loss of quality? does anyone have any other suggestions? is there like a shop i can goto for something like this?thanks once again for any and all help.

sayx

Post by sayx » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:26 pm

ya you can copy the dvd to more then one cd and not loss much quility at all but you would have to filp cds in your dvd player or on the computer

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:53 pm

simakun as I said if you need a DVD burned I can do it for you. You can PM me and we can sort it out from there. As long as its a normal family video and not a "Family Video" if you know what I mean.

Yeah Jukka, well to copy a DVD theres loads of tools to basically copy a legal DVD and fit it on DVDR. But for simakuns need you basically copy the DVD, use the comman mount or the GUI tool sizzle and then use disk copy, to copy the mount to DVD. But for sure good to hear theres more than Linux users in Finland, maybe these commodity computing lords may learn something and find that KDE and GTK suck and look at OS X instead.
Who is this dog Franks?

simakun

Post by simakun » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:47 pm

thanks for the offer jcooper. i held off awhile cos i was a little reluctant to trouble you. fortunately, a friend of mine said that he has the equipment to do it and he also lives in the next building so there is a happy ending after all. thanks for everyone's advice.