jamaican seeking info

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
nadine

jamaican seeking info

Post by nadine » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:05 am

hi

I am a jamaican who is interested in pursuing studies in Journalism in Finland for 2004. Can anyone tell me about living in Finland?If anyone form the caribbean is seeing this message can you respond?I would like to know about the weather, the people,student life, diversity in student population, anything, everything. I am learning how to knit, will rastafarian belts, hats, clothes sell easily. I am just thinking of a way to make a living since i don'e know Finnish.

regards,
nadine

jamaican seeking info

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:19 am

Well, I'm not Caribbean, but way back when I worked there and visited Ocho Rios every now and then and had Jamaicans working with me, I noticed Finland and Jamaica are just the same:
1) it rains all the time
2) people speak an unintelligible language (cool no rass :mrgreen: )
3) everybody drives a Lada (or we used to then) and the government makes sure with tax laws everyone stays poor
4) people seem airy at strangers but once you prove yourself a friend is a true friend
5) both are proud of their country and have a favorite neighbor to jive at (Finns/Sweden, Jamaicans/Barbados)
:D

OK, climatewise you'll be freezing yourself so better stock up with dunns river pepper sauce - well, you can buy it here too. About selling handcrafts, I think there is a market, young people are into this ethnic fashion and you see some stuff like rasta knit caps around but you cry when you see the prices. No croocamacca sticks either :D

Just what city are you planning on coming to? Tampere? Helsinki? Somewhere small 100person village in the forest? Not much business there.

Anyhow, welcome to the group and if we can be of any assistance please ask.

Check through the old messages and the links list if you can specify a bit - you are asking such general stuff places like cimo and virtual finland give you the base line.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

shazman

Post by shazman » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:47 am

Wow Hank, next thing your going to tell me is you were one of Bob Marley's Wailers :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:56 am

No, I just dumped cargo in Ocho Rios once a week :D
Cheers, Hank W.

shazman

Post by shazman » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:10 pm

:( now Im disappointed

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:12 pm

Oh well almost forgot to tell Nadine; all Finns look like duppies, and when the men drink they turn into rolling calf :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

nadine

Post by nadine » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:55 am

hanks

i see that you have not been to Jamaica for quite some time. pity. i am sure that most of your views would be different....especially the lada part.

Just curious, are you Finnish?

my questions are very general because i am still toying with the idea of coming there.I am ,however, not too happy with the 5 year study period and i think Finland might not recognise my first degree. My Bachelor 's degree is in Marketing.I am a journalist and would like to pursue further studies in that field.

I think the university of JYvaskila (i know this is not spelt correctly,too lazy to look up the correct one) has a course that interest me. I hve tried to request a propectus but have not been successful.

bye

nadine

Post by nadine » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:06 am

Hanks,

Can you give me a better picture of Finland? Both positives and negatives.

i get the feeling you are not Finnish, because you write with a sense of distance, like a mere observer, a migrant or visitor.I can also see that you did not stay long in Jamaica. BECAUSE IT DOES NOT RAIN ALL THE TIME AND IT IS VERY HOT AND SUNNY. It only rains during hurricane season which is now. the weather man says it is going to rain and it does not . We have a lot drought though.

All Finns look like duppy is not funny, Hanks, sorry. I can easily misinterpret that ......
bye

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:55 am

nadine wrote: i see that you have not been to Jamaica for quite some time. pity. i am sure that most of your views would be different....especially the lada part.
Oh boy the taxi drivers must be happy. Yes, we have no ladas any more either. But that was - something like 10 years ago.

Yes, I am Finnish. Been here too long.
nadine wrote:I am ,however, not too happy with the 5 year study period and i think Finland might not recognise my first degree. My Bachelor 's degree is in Marketing.I am a journalist and would like to pursue further studies in that field.
Well, yes, that is the thing. Usually if you have a previous degree in some other field they are pretty reluctant to recognize it - or give credits towards it - this depends very much on the curriculum, but in general you ought to brace yourself towards the 5 years and anything less is good luck.
nadine wrote: I think the university of JYvaskila (i know this is not spelt correctly,too lazy to look up the correct one) has a course that interest me. I hve tried to request a propectus but have not been successful.
Ok, Jyväskylä is not a huge city, so prospects of finding work there may be a little less than in some other places. Getting a prospect? Wonder if they even print any - Finnish are very bad in answering. Be it job application or anything. Anyhow, here is the English pages for them http://www.jyu.fi/indexeng.shtml , and if you go to the "international office" section there is some description of Jyväskylä itself.
http://www.infotech.jyu.fi/uk/index.htm

Ah, and found another I was expecting you to be pursuing, University of Tampere http://www.uta.fi/studies/
they have a degree programme there in social sciences section that had the magic word "journalism" included.
Last edited by Hank W. on Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:21 am

nadine wrote: Can you give me a better picture of Finland? Both positives and negatives.
Well, I would need to know what you feel as positive and negative, but I try:

+ safe and politically stable country
+ nature
+ seasons (personally, I hate it now and winter and feel miserable, but some prefer it)
+ facilities (schools are pretty well equipped for research)
+ language (most people speak english, if they will speak that is)
+ education is "free"
+ women's equality
+ student party life is wild

- cold rainy season and a colder rainy season with snow in between
- expensive, all your hearts desire with a cost
- Finnish language is quite hard
- some drunks like to yell at people who look different
- student party life gets too wild

Yes, it doesn't rain in Finland all the time either. And it is not cold and snowy all the time either, but someone telling you this in February must sound as just trying to be reassuring. No problem, the houses are built sturdy and heated so there is no need to worry. Then the summer comes and tha days get longer there is the magical moment of midsummer that the dusks turn into dawn with no real night in between. And last years we've had record warm summers so there has been droughts...
If you want to wade through this it might give some more aspects
http://virtual.finland.fi/
nadine wrote: All Finns look like duppy is not funny, Hanks,
Well it was to the guys who called me that and it took me 3-4 weeks to figure out what a duppy meant. OK, maybe I look pudgy and pale and like dug up from a grave... or was it then if they knocked at my cabin door with a bottle of rum to get me up... hmmm... yes that was a long time ago.
Cheers, Hank W.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:33 am

Hank W wrote: Yes, I am Finnish. Been here too long.
Hi Nadine..I am not a Finn..but I have been here a long time.
With a name like Nadine I suppose there is no point in asking if you play cricket. :cry: .but no mater there is not enough decent grass here. :cry: .Cricket is about the only aspect of my life in UK that I miss.
Hank is our resident Finnish cynic..but if you accept what he says as having a touch of humour added, then it is all good stuff.
Finnish weather..you will adapt to no real problem..the long day light (24 hour) summers are great, But the long 18 hour nights during winter,.. some find depressing if you dont mix make friends and find something to do with someone else. Winter Loneliness and boredom are a big problem and can lead to all sort of problems. But if you are the type that mixes in easy ..you will have fun all year round.
Winter sports are great and not too difficult, and the facilities for cross country skiing are free and through some stunning scenerey even close to the cities.
Jyväskylä is a nice city, good facilities and the univeristy is very modern on the edge of a beuatiful lake over looked by the ski jumping hill.
Just think after a couple of winters you could become the Jamican ski jumping entrant in the winter olympics. :wink: