New ubiquitous ordinance law to take effect 1.10.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:35 pm

before, every county used to have its own ordinances. Theis meant, like in helsinki it was illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk, across the border in vantaa it was allowed... also statutes conserning say at what time in the morning you may start churning the buzzsaw were different by county.

Not any more. The new law on ordinances (No doubt WLM is busy iterpreting) is the same all over the country. the statutes range from disorderly public conduct (20 euros for public drinking), for soliciting (50 euros) up to having a fistiron (1 year in jail)...

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:40 pm

Hank, you are right.

It WAS going into the dailies today, but we had enough other stuff, so we'll expand the brief digest and add in some stuff from the diagram attached to the article. Will be up tomorrow afternoon. And I think it's something like a Public Order Act. Ordinances and bye-laws are what it will be replacing.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:21 am

If you want to know how much it will cost you for pointing Percy at the rose-bushes or allowing Fido to pinch a loaf in the middle of Esplanadi, then the tariffs are now available in fairly plain English here:

http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20030930IE12

Carrying a knuckleduster can get you hard time, by the way, and possession of spray paint in a public place requires you have a damned good reason for it - preferably a beaten-up car in the same shade.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

usheletz

law ?

Post by usheletz » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:41 pm

who can report violations of this law?
does the person who reports get's anything from the state (e.g. some percentage of money constituting the fine as a form of approval) ?

i guess this law doesn't change the situation, but i get impression that now even minor offences are punishable.

IMO, the law it allows too much for a subjective interpretation. (how do u like "possession of aerosol spray paint or similar substances in a public place without a good reason". who eveluates if the reason is good or not?)

i especially liked the passage "manufacture, import, sale, and possession of dangerous objects that can be used to harm another person can lead to up to a year's imprisonment". too many objects can be viewed as "dangerous"... even if they are not meant to cause danger (e.g. walking sticks they use for "nordic walking" or skiing)

btw, does the police in finland have right to search one in the street ? (to recover "dangerous objects" e.g.)

i hope the law itself is more specific about these issues than the HS article.

ush

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: law ?

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:03 pm

usheletz wrote: >
> who can report violations of this law?

- anyone, as any violations.

> does the person who reports get's anything from the state (e.g. some percentage of money constituting the fine as a form of approval) ?

- too lame to be funny, I wouldn't wonder if they start asking for service charges too....as usual in Finland - the probability is high *you* get fined - and then beaten up by the perp afterwards.

*i guess this law doesn't change the situation, but i get impression that now even minor offences are punishable.

- I got fined 6 days for having a beer on Hietaniemi beach one august thursday 8 pm. in 1990!

> IMO, the law it allows too much for a subjective interpretation. (how do u like "possession of aerosol spray paint or similar substances in a public place without a good reason". who eveluates if the reason is good or not?)

- police evaluates, as usual, and as usual, they are correct.

> i especially liked the passage "manufacture, import, sale, and possession of dangerous objects that can be used to harm another person can lead to up to a year's imprisonment". too many objects can be viewed as "dangerous"... even if they are not meant to cause danger (e.g. walking sticks they use for "nordic walking" or skiing)

- well, you do not need to fill any loopholes afterwards than with a specific list.

>btw, does the police in finland have right to search one in the street ? (to recover "dangerous objects" e.g.)

- naturally, and they can search your home too. Poliisilaki 7.4.1995/493

http://finlex1.edita.fi/dynaweb/ajantas ... tsint%E4#1
Cheers, Hank W.

usheletz

Re: law ?

Post by usheletz » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:43 pm

>- naturally, and they can search your home too. Poliisilaki 7.4.1995/493
>http://finlex1.edita.fi/dynaweb/ajantas ... tsint%E4#1[/quote]

:(
thanks for the link.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:24 pm

does the person who reports get's anything from the state (e.g. some percentage of money constituting the fine as a form of approval) ?

This sounds alarmingly like bounty-hunting to me. Rather distasteful. If you need a cash spur to notify the police of a crime, you are probably in the wrong country. I believe it's quite popular in the United States. It also worked well in East Germany.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

daive

Post by daive » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:26 pm

"If you are found in possession of a knuckleduster, a stiletto, or other dangerous objects or substances."

This is showing my ignorance a bit, I didn't realise that a stiletto was a flick knife. I thought it was just a shoe, so I was wondering how it could be made illegal to wear a pair of stilettos!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:39 pm

There is a difference between a flickknife and a stiletto. Atleast in Finland. In a flickknife the blade comes from the side, like swiss army knife. In a stiletto the blade is released from the handle like a dagger, usually with a button & spring. Basically the spring action is what makes a "stiletto" a sttiletto, as well as a dagger-like blade. If you use some other means of opening the blade its a flickknife, you have variations like a 'butterfly knife'. Basically "any blade" over 5cm is a "dangerous sharp weapon", but say a baseball bat will you get you cited for "dangerous sharp weapon". Quirks of legalese.
Cheers, Hank W.