Cheap Phone Calls

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
shazman

Cheap Phone Calls

Post by shazman » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:59 am

Hi gang!

I was wondering if any of you know to get cheap local (Uusima) and International calls. Is there a phone card system for mobiles? Or some way of doing it.. I need to use the phone a lot more these days, and I dont want to have a heart attack every time I get the bill from Radiolinja.
Im weird like that :wink:

Thanks for any 'constructive' input (that means you Hank) :o
Shaz

Cheap Phone Calls

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:13 pm

I'm calling international with Tele2. They have the cheapest rates for me, but ofcourse I don't know what it would cost to the countries that you want to call to.

Sonera has this thing (I forgot the name in Finnish) with a friends-circle. You can give them up to I think it was 10 numbers of the people you call most within Finland and you can call them for a cheaper rate. This is from cellphone-cellphone and cellphone-landline.

Homie Azteca

Post by Homie Azteca » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:21 pm

Arno wrote: Sonera has this thing (I forgot the name in Finnish) with a friends-circle. You can give them up to I think it was 10 numbers of the people you call most within Finland and you can call them for a cheaper rate. This is from cellphone-cellphone and cellphone-landline.
There is only one problem with the "thing"(kotisoitto) you can only do that by cellphone, and it has to be all sonera, that's available in every operator. So if you want to have that in DNA; your friends must have DNA, I tell you this, cause my girl has Sonera and I have DNA, we tried both ends, and didn't work.
About the international calls, my friend calls to Mexico by dialing some prefix-numbers before the real number. I don't use that cause my parents always call me. No spend for me!!
El Mariachi Loco quiere bailar!!

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:30 pm

Homie Azteca wrote: There is only one problem with the "thing"(kotisoitto) you can only do that by cellphone, and it has to be all sonera, that's available in every operator. So if you want to have that in DNA; your friends must have DNA, I tell you this, cause my girl has Sonera and I have DNA, we tried both ends, and didn't work.
Yep, that's true. It's provider-tight. No jumps from provider to provider. Maybe that will be solved in the future though.

Homie Azteca wrote: About the international calls, my friend calls to Mexico by dialing some prefix-numbers before the real number. I don't use that cause my parents always call me. No spend for me!!
Tele2 has a precarrier 992. Sonera also has a cheaper international service, with precarrier 990. And there's probably more of those, but you have to check which one is the cheapest for the country you want to be calling to.
You press the number of the precarrier before the number you're calling, so if you're calling to the US, you'd dial for example 992-1-1234567890. The provider (DNA, Sonera, whatever) you call with will charge you local phonecosts and (if you call with Tele2) you get an extra bill from them with the costs for your phonecalls. If you call with Sonera's 990 it'll show an extra column on your regular phonebill.

MinnaRaisanen

Cheap Phone Calls

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:56 pm

Hiya!

I use something called CUBIO Communications - call them up at 0800 500 200 or check the net at http://www.cubio.fi/cgi-bin/iisi3.pl?cid=cubio.
I found this to be the best deal for me to call Canada and they have a friend to friend thing for three numbers.

I already notice a difference, but that doesn't mean my heart doesn't jump into my throat every month when the bill arrives! :shock:

Good Luck Saving!!

daive

Re: Cheap Phone Calls

Post by daive » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:06 pm

shazman wrote:Hi gang!

I was wondering if any of you know to get cheap local (Uusima) and International calls. Is there a phone card system for mobiles? Or some way of doing it.. I need to use the phone a lot more these days, and I dont want to have a heart attack every time I get the bill from Radiolinja.
Im weird like that :wink:

Thanks for any 'constructive' input (that means you Hank) :o
Shaz
There are three that I use at the moment, all for different uses, check them out...

http://www.tele2.fi/cgi-bin/tele2/yksit ... lu&lang=fi

http://www.telerus.fi

http://www.globetel.fi/ulkomaanhinnasto.shtml

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:37 pm

I have used 99577 previously, this is a VOIP service from IIRC TELE2. It was cheap and the quality was very acceptable. Of course you still have to pay the cost of the mobile connection as well :(
The bill goes onto your monthly mobile account and so is no good for those with a prepay sim.

I have recently moved over to Net2Phone. I have a VOIP account that I use with my PC. A few days ago I added a phone card facility, this is slightly more expensive than the PC to phone service, but is still good value. The nice thing is that I can use an ordinary phone, or mobile wherever I am. Calls from the landline, or mobile may be free of connection charges, depending upon where you are, otherwise you pay the normal, much lower than mobile, connection charges. Quality is just fine.

I set the Net2phone thing up to save money, my bill has gone down from over €120 per month to around €60, albeit that I now also maintain an Estonian and Russian local sim card, previously I was using my Finnish card, but the saving from these is not very much, perhaps €10 per month on average.

Here is the URL for bNet2phone: http://web.net2phone.com/home_intaen.asp

BTW, if using the PC, it is MUCH cheaper to use Net2phone for calls to Finnish landlines than to use your mobile. Quality is just fine on a 56k modem, although I use a T1.

I have no connection to Net2phone, but they have been around since the start of VOIP and it works well. BTW if you need a fax, they can provide fax sending and receiving facilities as well, much cheaper than buying a fax and keeping a landline to serve it!

Anders

Post by Anders » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:22 am

Or if the person your are calling also has a PC you can skype them. http://www.skype.com
Tried it yesterday for 26 minutes to sweden. Cost me 0€ and the software is freeware also!
"Snowboarding is an Art form. The rider is the artist and his board his tool. Together they make art worth die for."

Homie Azteca

Post by Homie Azteca » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:14 pm

Anders wrote:Or if the person your are calling also has a PC you can skype them. http://www.skype.com
Tried it yesterday for 26 minutes to sweden. Cost me 0€ and the software is freeware also!
Does that mean that you have to call to his/her computer?? well, you can do that with Netmeeting also and you pay nothing ... or tell me how does that work
El Mariachi Loco quiere bailar!!

timekiller

Post by timekiller » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:51 am

Or you can use Yahoo! chat that is even better than netmeeting.

With yahoo chat you can have your verbal chat and webcam going at the same time. It makes netmeeting look ill!

btw, it's freeware as well. It does some ads on the webcam window, but there is no spyware!
I think, therefore I'm not drunk!

Anders

Post by Anders » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:44 am

Does that mean that you have to call to his/her computer?? well, you can do that with Netmeeting also and you pay nothing ... or tell me how does that work
The technologie is the same but there is a common problem with NM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo etc that it's sometimes difficulty to pass the firewalls. This is something they managed to solve with skype.
"Snowboarding is an Art form. The rider is the artist and his board his tool. Together they make art worth die for."

shazman

Post by shazman » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:14 pm

woah slow down fellas, your talking a 'foreign' language now....

So yahoo has a chat over the web facility? ok... I got that bit.

But I am more interested in calling up companies and I dont think thats practical. Maybe a cheap calling rate...so Im going to try those companies recommended above - it wont hurt to ask.

Cheers for the input :D
Shaz

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:18 pm

Depending upon where you are calling, different firms offer different advantages, prices charged vary very much according to country of origin and destination. Finland is not cheap at either end.

The most important thing, in FInland, is whether you are going to use a mobile phone or not. In many cases the cost of the mobile phone call will exceed the cost of the international part of the call. This is why VOIP calls from your computer are so worthwhile. You pay no access charges. The flexibility of the Net2phone package scored highly for me. With the calling card, which make for yourself, you can call from almost any phone anywhere in the world. In many countries the access call is free of charge, Finland is one such country. At the moment, and this may change, the access number is also free on my mobile phone, this could change any day and may not be true on your account...

Skype is fine but, as yet, hardly anyone uses it. I know that I can contact most of my friends using either Yahoo or ICQ and we can have free voice conversations. I have just started talking to a friend in Tallinn using a web cam. I am calling from behind a firewall and have no problems. Until Skype and the others can arrange calls to landlines or mobiles then they appear to offer little benefit, to this user at least, and even when they do, they will have to compete with the established players such as Net2Phone, Vonage et al as at that point calls are unlikely to be free, the other operators will not allow it.

eweaver001

Post by eweaver001 » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:36 pm

Arno wrote:
Homie Azteca wrote: There is only one problem with the "thing"(kotisoitto) you can only do that by cellphone, and it has to be all sonera, that's available in every operator. So if you want to have that in DNA; your friends must have DNA, I tell you this, cause my girl has Sonera and I have DNA, we tried both ends, and didn't work.
Yep, that's true. It's provider-tight. No jumps from provider to provider. Maybe that will be solved in the future though.

Homie Azteca wrote: About the international calls, my friend calls to Mexico by dialing some prefix-numbers before the real number. I don't use that cause my parents always call me. No spend for me!!
Tele2 has a precarrier 992. Sonera also has a cheaper international service, with precarrier 990. And there's probably more of those, but you have to check which one is the cheapest for the country you want to be calling to.
You press the number of the precarrier before the number you're calling, so if you're calling to the US, you'd dial for example 992-1-1234567890. The provider (DNA, Sonera, whatever) you call with will charge you local phonecosts and (if you call with Tele2) you get an extra bill from them with the costs for your phonecalls. If you call with Sonera's 990 it'll show an extra column on your regular phonebill.

How do you find out what the rates are with the precarriers? Do they have websites or phone numbers?

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:42 pm

eweaver001 wrote: How do you find out what the rates are with the precarriers? Do they have websites or phone numbers?

Tele2 is http://www.tele2.fi. Sonera probably has info on it on her website, but I don't know where.
You can google for precarriers.