Video duplication in Helsinki area

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
grahamb

Post by grahamb » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:43 am

Hi,

Been lurking here for a bit but have a question now...

Can anyone recommend a good place to get VHS videos copied in Helsinki? A family friend did a video of our wedding so there are no copyright problems. Ideally, the place would also be able to convert from PAL to NTSC for people in the US.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Graham

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

anja

Post by anja » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:53 pm

I had to deal with a similar issue just a couple of weeks ago: my sister's wedding tape (a VHS from 1985) was in a condition, where the tape had snapped off the reel, and we wanted to have it repaired, and copied into two DVDs. I got 4 quotes from the capital area, and the ones closest to the city were the most expensive, such as this one:

Reel One at Lasipalatsi:
http://www.reelone.fi/

But I got excellent service and the mission completed at måndag: http://www.mandag.fi, and it cost me 140 EUR, where Reel One would have charged somewhere over 300 EUR
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:04 pm

Begorrah!

I can do that work on my PC for that kind of money! It is ridiculous!

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:55 pm

ReelOne is terrible. I've heard quite a few people have had bad experiences over there. And I think if you have it on a LP setting they can't even do it in the first place, let along charge you exorbitant prices for it...

ToastPost is much much better, quality wise
http://www.toastpost.com/english.html, and they're much nicer guys to boot.

But both companies are going to charge you an arm and a leg :/

deojuvame

Re: Video duplication in Helsinki area

Post by deojuvame » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:01 pm

grahamb wrote:Hi,

Been lurking here for a bit but have a question now...

Can anyone recommend a good place to get VHS videos copied in Helsinki? A family friend did a video of our wedding so there are no copyright problems. Ideally, the place would also be able to convert from PAL to NTSC for people in the US.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Graham
Also to clarify- I've known ReelOne to outright refuse a NTSC to PAL conversion, but dunno how they feel about converting the other way.

Also- if you want something like PAL to a different form (MPEG, DV tape, pretty much anything but NTSC) I can do it for you if you want. PM me if so.

anja

Post by anja » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:04 pm

I had to finish my previous post in a hurry, so just to add, that in my case repairing the existing master-tape (VHS) seemed to be the biggest issue with all places where I asked for a quote. And as someone already stated, taking copies isn't THAT tricky. However, at Måndag they "re-mastered" the existing material and since the tape was so old, I understood that there were some things where they needed to put special attention and craftsmanship into the work, which affected the price. So don't put too much attention into the prices I presented, but the price DIFFERENCE between the various places. And since someone seemed to have experience with ReelOne's service, and I had an (excellent) experience with Måndag, I would find that interesting, too, if I was myself now looking for a place to get my VHS repaired and recorded into DVDs. All in all, I got what I wanted, comparably cheap, and am very satisfied with the end result :wink:
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

grahamb

Post by grahamb » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:43 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'd heard about ReelOne but I think I'll give Mandag and ToastPost a call.