Digital Camera Goodness

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
deojuvame

Digital Camera Goodness

Post by deojuvame » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:22 pm

Heya all!
I had an Ixus II that came to a bad end, and my 3650 is a crap piece of camera capability. I'm in the market for a new compact digital camera.

Anyone have a digital camera they like to use and would recommend?

I'm leaning towards an Ixus 400 or a Sony P10, but it definitely needs at least a 3x optical zoom and minimum 3 megapixels. I'm feeling sketchy on the sony because I don't know if I like the idea of the memory stick.

Also, anyone have good/bad experiences with stores in regards to consumer electronics? Any stores to recommend or not in regards to prices/customer service etc? I'm kicking around the idea of just waiting until I visit the states to buy one, but... I want to be able to carry around a digital compact camera NOW :)

Thanks for any words!

Digital Camera Goodness

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:16 am

My EUR 0.02 worth...

I have a Nikon 4500. Have been very happy with it. Well, until last weekend, but my admiration is still undimmed - at least until I learn from the dealers that it has completely bought the farm.

Nice design, 4Mp, decent lens, with a modest possibility to add-on in SLR fashion (they have a tele and a w/a and a fisheye and a few filters, but that's more than most digitals will offer you unless you move into the digital SLR price-bracket). Stunning macro performance. Beats the Canon into a cocked hat. Needs a firmware upgrade on the flash delay and slight shutter lag, but there are workarounds. And an external flash would also help a bit.

But it's an amazingly moreish camera - urges you on to stretch yourself whilst being perfectly simple as a first-time point-and-shoot, though there ARE those who don't like Nikon's menu logic (like there are those that swear by Nokia's menus in the mobile sphere). Battery wear is also good.

I used it daily and heavily from July 2002 until Friday, when the zoom told me it had quit. Considering the camera had been dropped a few times (the body is sturdy and all-metal), I'm not even that surprised. I think it's only a connection problem at the switch end and not a lens issue, as everything else is working as normal (lens moves for macro shots as expected), but I'm waiting to hear back from Rajala, where I bought it.

Rajala are a decent outfit. One shop in Lauttasaari, one downtown in Sanomatalo. I'd sooner buy from a proper photo/camera dealer than save a few euros at a place like PC Superstore or the dreaded Gigantti/OnOff. They'll sell you anything and shrug when it doesn't perform.

If you are looking generally, you could do worse than to read reviews at

http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

or

http://www.dpreview.com/

You'll find newer and better (and maybe even cheaper) cameras there.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:46 am

WLM-
Thanks for the awesome advice. That camera DOES look cool, but is it very bulky? The largeish size seems a little bit offputting. But I gotta love the design. I've been looking at the Nikon Coolpix SQ as well, but it looks like the 4500 has the same design and kicks a lot more ass. Do you carry around a seperate bag for your 4500, or is it hardy/small enough for you to stick it in your backpack or whatever?

I've been checking out both of those sites you mentioned with an almost religious fervor for a few days now :) I'm loving the side by side digital camera comparison that dpreview has. The thing is, it's hard to track the reader's reviews with much more than a grain of salt because it seems like there's always going to be a pile of rave reviews for pretty much every single camera i've been looking at, so it's all turns into a dull roar of digital camera approval.

I've been thinking of ordering a camera from Germany. I've been looking at this site http://www.technikdirekt.de because their prices are just astoundingly lower than what I'll find in Finland. But then again there's that whole question of who to go to when it starts acting funny...

neil

Post by neil » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:54 am

I am also thinking about upgrading. I have a IXUS II and like the look of the IXUS 400. Canon seem to be onto a winner with this range as it seems they cram a lot of features into a small neat case. I like the size and the use CF cards as their storage.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:57 am

neil wrote:I am also thinking about upgrading. I have a IXUS II and like the look of the IXUS 400. Canon seem to be onto a winner with this range as it seems they cram a lot of features into a small neat case. I like the size and the use CF cards as their storage.
I have a Canon SureShot S30.. great camera. I have no bad things to say about it. very durable little camera..(well little enough considering what it is capapble of...at least it fits nicely in my pants pocket, coat pocket, or shirt pocket (as long as I do not bend over to pick something up..).. :wink: )

just my two cents worth..
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:16 am

I've been investing quite some in lenses, and now I'm looking for an affordable digibody where I can put my lenses on.
I've been checking the prices for a Nikon D100 and a Sigma SD9. Bad experiences in the past refrain me from trying Canon and Minolta, but they might've improved their quality since I used those some 8-10 years ago.

Anyone know a 'cheap' place where to get 'good stuff'?

Homie Azteca

Post by Homie Azteca » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:16 pm

Hi

I have a Sony Cybershot P2, special edition.
2 megapixels, 3 optical zoon, it has been working perfectly, the quality is great and I'm happy with it, I paid something like 300 € for it, the resolution is great and has lots of functions, I don't knwo exactly what you are looking for, but I hope you find it.

The truth, my favorite camera that I have is a Practika .. it's something about 10 years old but it works perfectly and it's a pro, with 4 different lenses and 35mm films.
El Mariachi Loco quiere bailar!!

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:19 pm

Homie Azteca wrote:Hi

I have a Sony Cybershot P2, special edition.
2 megapixels, 3 optical zoon, it has been working perfectly, the quality is great and I'm happy with it, I paid something like 300 € for it, the resolution is great and has lots of functions, I don't knwo exactly what you are looking for, but I hope you find it.

The truth, my favorite camera that I have is a Practika .. it's something about 10 years old but it works perfectly and it's a pro, with 4 different lenses and 35mm films.
Hiya

My absolute camera is my Nikkor SLR 35mm camera with the 3 accessory lenses. It's by favorite camera in the world, made in 1962, and it's going to last until 2062. But it's got the tiny drawback of being made entirely out of frickin IRON and thus weighing about 15 pounds. :? It's my heavy hitter for when I feel like getting all artsy.

Buuut I need a good little camera to capture life's little moments at super good resolution. Something I can carry in my bag that I can carry around everyday, and switch from simple point and shoot shots, to more involved shots without getting frustrated.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:35 pm

Do you carry around a seperate bag for your 4500, or is it hardy/small enough for you to stick it in your backpack or whatever?

Bit of both. I have a small Tamrac 5694 bag so as to be able to carry a mini-tripod (you know, one of those expanding thingies for table work and so on) and the back-up batteries and cards. It's light and smallish, and has a belt-strap possibility, too. Then again, if I'm out riding a bike, I often just carry the camera in my pocket. Sure, it's not cigarette-packet or make-up compact sized like the Ixus, but after having used SLRs for years I hardly even notice it's there.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:43 pm

WLM wrote:Then again, if I'm out riding a bike, I often just carry the camera in my pocket. Sure, it's not cigarette-packet or make-up compact sized like the Ixus, but after having used SLRs for years I hardly even notice it's there.
I hear ya. My Nikon F65 with 80-200mm is easy to carry around. And doing that (although occasionally I'm majorly annoyed when I see a perfect Kodak-moment and I didn't bring/forgot the cam). It gets a bit nasty though if I want to take the 500mm zoom... That weighs 2 kgs extra...

paulrenn

Post by paulrenn » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:01 pm

Hi Arabella,

Do you still happen to have the battery charger for that Ixus? I have lost mine and am desperately looking for one!

Thanks,

Paul

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:38 pm

paulrenn wrote:Do you still happen to have the battery charger for that Ixus? I have lost mine and am desperately looking for one!
Nope sorry! :(

But try http://www.huuto.net or http://www.verkkokauppa.com/ , maybe they'll have cheap chargers...

Homie Azteca

Post by Homie Azteca » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:19 pm

arabella wrote:
Buuut I need a good little camera to capture life's little moments at super good resolution. Something I can carry in my bag that I can carry around everyday, and switch from simple point and shoot shots, to more involved shots without getting frustrated.
Try cybershot U
Compact, good resolution, and "cheap"
El Mariachi Loco quiere bailar!!

eashton

Re: Digital Camera Goodness

Post by eashton » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:18 pm

arabella wrote:Heya all!
I had an Ixus II that came to a bad end, and my 3650 is a crap piece of camera capability. I'm in the market for a new compact digital camera.

Anyone have a digital camera they like to use and would recommend?
Wait a week or three and get one of these, the IXUS i: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0309/03091201canonsd10.asp . Smaller, cheaper, better. Amazon.com will ship them on Thursday supposedly and you could have it shipped to someone you know in the states who could forward the package as 'personal items' :)

deojuvame

Re: Digital Camera Goodness

Post by deojuvame » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:00 pm

eashton wrote: Wait a week or three and get one of these, the IXUS i: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0309/03091201canonsd10.asp . Smaller, cheaper, better. Amazon.com will ship them on Thursday supposedly and you could have it shipped to someone you know in the states who could forward the package as 'personal items' :)
OOOooooo, that IXUS i is seriously pretty!

But it's got a fixed focal length (zero zoom) so I'm probably not going to get it. But I love the colors & design...

So I became absolutely convinced I wanted a Nikon Coolpix 4500 until I opened the VeikonKone ad in the paper and found out the Sony Cybershot DSC-P12 (599 EUR) AND the Canon Ixus 400 (549 EUR) are on sale. DAMMIT! So many choices! I'm in some sort of shopper's paralysis here!

:wink: :wink: :wink: