living together.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Thomas Koren

living together.

Post by Thomas Koren » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:33 pm

Just a question, did anyone here get a residence permit for living together with a finnish person (not married etc.) without having to live together for 2 years first?

living together.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Re: living together.

Post by Ace » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:40 pm

Thomas Koren wrote:Just a question, did anyone here get a residence permit for living together with a finnish person (not married etc.) without having to live together for 2 years first?
You'll get one if you get her to sign a paper to say she'll support you whilst your looking for work, if your from the EU (I think your Dutch aren't you?).

You'll need to take her to the police station though and probably need some proof of her earnings.

brendan_uk

Post by brendan_uk » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:58 pm

Yeah, I got one but I was EU citizen, so maybe different. But I didnt have to get her to sign anything, i fact I dont think they even asked about her.

EU citizen have the right to live anywhere in EU area dont they? not dependant on who you are living with and what they earn?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:01 pm

Live and work anywhere. If you don't work...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

brendan_uk

Post by brendan_uk » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:04 pm

Hank W. wrote:Live and work anywhere. If you don't work...
??

bit cryptic for me this morning hank, care to explain?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:18 pm

Basically, you have a right to reside - if you can support yourself.

The EU residence document has "small print":

"Even an EU/EEA citizen who does not belong to any
of the groups mentioned above can be granted a
residence permit in Finland if he/she does not have to
resort to Finnish social security during his/her stay,
but has his/her own income and funds to live on."

http://www.uvi.fi/pdf/oleoikeuseueta_eng.pdf
Cheers, Hank W.

brendan_uk

Post by brendan_uk » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:28 pm

I see!

It was a while ago, but I cant remember suppying any details of how I was going to support myself to the authorities, but maybe I did and forgot :?

Wonder if you could just string it out and say that yes I can support myself and when it comes to proof take a few months supplying the info, if they even ask.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:56 pm

I think also the situation a few years back (say when Finland joined the EU) was different and different papers are needed to convince the police.
Cheers, Hank W.

Re: living together.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:49 pm

Thomas Koren wrote:Just a question, did anyone here get a residence permit for living together with a finnish person (not married etc.) without having to live together for 2 years first?
Brendan_uk wrote:Yeah, I got one but I was EU citizen, so maybe different. But I didnt have to get her to sign anything, i fact I dont think they even asked about her.
So did I. But I guess in my case it was easier because we were registered at the same address from the moment we moved here.

brumlee

Post by brumlee » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:22 pm

i got a residence permit straight away witha c/o address but i had work before i applied for teh permit .

demian

Post by demian » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:19 am

Hi!

I went down to the police station with my girlfriend and we were just asked how long we'd been together ('almost 2 years' -at the time, though mainly long distance) and also whether I had enough money in my account to survive for a while (I actually had some, but they wouldn't specify how long and insisted on me reassuring them I could live on that 'X' quantity... I did, but... how could they know how much it was, or/and for how long I would be able to?)

That was in Turku, though it shouldn't depend on where or who is the police clerk...
Demián
ImageImageImage

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:11 pm

I got my permit because my boyfriend claimed he would support me :roll: and I also had to say that I had $5,000 in my bank account. Not sure which one sold them, but I got my permit really fast and with no issues.

Jessica

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

tgabawm

Post by tgabawm » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:34 pm

I got my permit because I am engaged to a Finn and I had a work and I was about to begin my studies... Despite of all those things, I got my permit only for one year.... :cry:
If the drop would say "I am unnecesary", there would be no ocean.
(M. Quoist)

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:37 pm

tgabawm wrote:I got my permit because I am engaged to a Finn and I had a work and I was about to begin my studies... Despite of all those things, I got my permit only for one year.... :cry:
Are you EU?
It's weird. I got my permit because I was engaged to a Finn, but had no job and no studies. I applied for two years, but they sent me the permit and it was for five years, with a little note attached to it that I could still apply for a permanent permit after two years and I didn't have to sit out and wait for the five years. :?:

brumlee

Post by brumlee » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:11 pm

I have 1 year left of my first 5 year permit .
When do you think i should renew it ?
I reckon a couple of weeks before it expires should be ok innit .