What kind of winter boots do you have?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:45 am

Since we're due to have snow tomorrow night, I thought I'd bring up this question.

I have plain old hiking boots from WallyWorld lol. I do have cleats that I attach to them to walk on ice. My boots are getting ready to croak.

Also, what is an inexpensive but good winter boot here for women?

Thanks!

Kat

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:50 am

Well, if you look downtown, its these "F*me booots" with stiletto heels that are the talk of the town.

Of course, as one is not allowed to imply to the professional attitude of the ethnically otherlanguaged minority of fake hair color in question...

What boots?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:55 am

Hank W. wrote:Well, if you look downtown, its these "F*me booots" with stiletto heels that are the talk of the town.

Of course, as one is not allowed to imply to the professional attitude of the ethnically otherlanguaged minority of fake hair color in question...

What boots?
LOL!

I could always tell women "of the corner working profession" in Helsinki because those type of boots lol. I wonder how they walk in those things.

I should get some groovy Sami boots, they look neat but I'm too cheap to shell out 300 euros lol.

Kat

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:57 am

Well "easterly business ladies" forgotten one needs to find "sensible shoes" and kurjuus... err... tarjoustalo happened to have a bin...
Cheers, Hank W.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:00 am

Hank W. wrote:Well "easterly business ladies" forgotten one needs to find "sensible shoes" and kurjuus... err... tarjoustalo happened to have a bin...
lol :D

Thanks! I'll check around there next time I go!

Kat

karen

Post by karen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:16 am

I have these monsters that I ordered to be delivered to my brother who then brought them to me. They are extremely warm. If I wear wool socks with them, I have to take the boots off when I'm inside (in class) or my feet get too hot. The boots are light and comfy. If you have visitors heading this way, I recommend these boots.

Extreme Squall

chickensexer

Post by chickensexer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:53 am

I have a pair of something that I can describe as "soldier boots, ladies" with fur lining, got both, laces and zipper. They are sort of plain but very warm and of a color that matches my suede coats perfectly.

Another pair from Buffalo (shoe company, not a town), kind of "freaky-groovy sneakers on platforms". THE warmest. I have no idea how, may be because the paltform provides a gap from the frozen ground and layers of elaborate stitches/velcrows and other stuff add to insulation.

Then those "prostitute boots" that you guys were talking about except for mine are once again on a platform... Actually, I think that type of thingy is rather a wedge, not platform... O well, they are a by a Portuguese company but still surprisingly warm.

And then there is 2 other versions of "soldier boots, ladies", kinda plain but one of them has a fur trim and miracle soles: provide amazing traction and it's impossible to slip on an icy surface if wearing those while the soles are just plain, without any signs of being related to Nokian tyres.
Last edited by chickensexer on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:21 am

The thing about boots/winter shoes is the quality of the sole. too much "oily plastic" and despite the sole looking like a tractor tire it can be slipery as hell, as they freeze stiff.
Cheers, Hank W.

enk

Post by enk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:10 am

I use the same boots as my kids, Kuoma. They usually cost about 50 euros in Prisma.

-enk

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:15 pm

Hank W. wrote:Well, if you look downtown, its these "F*me booots" with stiletto heels that are the talk of the town.
Get with the programme, those are called FMB's ;)

madfinland

Post by madfinland » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:53 pm

guys am i wrong or are u talking about the world oldest job? and are u also implying females for that big big country near finland? this bring to the sun the discussion on "what finnish people think about the citizen from that big big country"...so?
anyway coming back to the boots talk u can find in any sporting good shop that boots with rubber nose from various brand (can i mention or is subliminal commercial?anyway one has the name of a canadian region, the other is the capitol of nepal but there are plenty of imitation).they are warm and waterproof
http://www.shoestoboot.com/category.cfm/202

Paolo

zax

Post by zax » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:31 pm

Ironic really... when I was a youngster and sliding on ice in winter was fun I was each year given winter boots not unlike the Timberland variety. They had soles made of some strange rubber material that simply refused to slide. Even on sheet ice and with a long run-up, while my friends sailed down our sheet-ice slides I would stop dead and be pitched forward onto my face.

Now when I really need them I can't find such boots anywhere. They probably banned production of that type of rubber for public health reasons or something. So as an adult I'm sliding around like a drunk giraffe should I want to or not. At least I still end up flat on my face... :)

karen

Post by karen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:29 pm

I wore my Squalls all last winter and the only time I traded them for my prettier, more feminine boots I slid all over the place. I used to wear those boots every winter, but as soon as I got real winter boots, I found out how treacherous the others really were.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:34 pm

The only boots I own are for playing football.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:38 pm

I actually just got some cloggy "safety boots" delivered today. They're perfectly hideously ugly, slide easy on&off and the sole is good rubber, need to test when it gets cold, but I think I found a winner. And the size is so that I can fit 2 woolen socks if need be.
Cheers, Hank W.