Moving to USA, can anyone suggest a moving company?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Wasn't sure what section to post this in :?

Does anyone have experience with moving OUT of Finland? I got an outrageous quote from Victor Ek, but I'm going to call Niemi tomorrow to see if they can do better. I wouldn't know who else to call after that. I'm not moving any furniture, only "stuff" like clothes, books, toys, magazines, framed pictures, household decorations, photos, magazines, cd's, etc... Does anyone have any advice for me or would be able to suggest a "cheap" moving company? I know it'll be expensive, but the quote I got from this guy was over 7,000 euro!!!!!!!! That just sounds outrageous to me considering that I'm not bringing any furniture.

thanks in advanced

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: Moving to USA, can anyone suggest a moving company?

Post by inkku » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:24 pm

To me e7000 sounds like your volume is too small and they are not interested in your removal.

How much stuff do you have in cubic meters? Air or sea freight?

In general, the quote depends a lot if you have overland transport as that tends to be very expensive. With small quantities air freight actually is better.

sokser

Post by sokser » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:43 pm

If you're not moving big items then just send it economy post through the post office. Last time I mailed stuff through this it cost me around 50 euros per box, each one weighing around 15 kilos. They can do this for the small items. As for the framed pictures I'm not sure. But at the price quoted to you, you might as well call up UPS and have everything sent home by air.

ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:06 am

@inkku, I have no idea what the meausurments are ofmy stuff. A guy from Victor Ek just came to my place and I pointed out everything I was going to move back with me. He took notes & then went back to the office and called me from there with a quote.

@sokser, I was afraid this might be the best option. Only problem is that this would be impossible for me. I don't have a car, so I'd have to make a billion trips to the post office & back. That would be fine if I didn't have a very active child who can't sit still for more than a few seconds, lol.

thanks anyway :)

inkku

Post by inkku » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:14 pm

If you had an idea of the volume it would help getting reasonable quotations. However, usually that kind of miscellaneous stuff you are mentioning results to something like 1-2 cbm. You could estimate the volume by taking a big card board box, measure its dimensions. Then estimate roughly how many boxes you would need. If you have clearly less than 1 cbm, I believe postal, excess luggage etc services might be feasible (no idea about companies though, sorry). For mailing, just order a tilataxi, mention you have those boxes and they take the stuff to the post office.

Btw, are you going to pack by yourself?

Other reputable removal companies you could contact are
Grundell http://www.grundell.com/toimipisteet.php
Niemi https://www.niemi.fi/International_Moves.712.0.html
KTK http://www.helsinginktk.fi/mastermovereng.pbs

Does your removal involve overland freight in the US? That could be expensive, in particularly organised from here. If you still get high quotes, you could try to cut costs by organising the US freight by yourself. Ask the Finnish company to take the freight to the nearest US airport, then ask a quote from a US company to deliver it further. Just ensure that your freight terms cover all the points here and it is clear who is responsible for which stage. I did this once, and managed to cut expenses by USD 1000.

ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:34 pm

thanks inkku, your info has been very helpful. I'm going to look into these different options :)

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:48 pm

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:58 pm

oh, so chicago won? bummer... their win our loss :wink:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:29 pm

It is the braindrain but fortunately uncle Hank is helping the people which first word come up when they come here is KELA. Coming from an EU-country and receiving benefits from KELA? It must not get crazier.

topak

Post by topak » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:34 am

Nowadays, relocation has become an essential part of modern life. Be it for professional reasons or the personal ones, people do relocate often in their lives. There are a lot of moving companies to help you. But choosing the right moving company can reduce half the stress that one usually has to undergo while planning for a move. Search for the company history, profilers and client’s testimonials to find the best moving company!

Puttmill

Post by Puttmill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:11 pm

I did it the other way (US to Finland) using a company called A-1 Auto Transport. They're from the US so I'm sure they can easily ship things the other way too. It's always a good idea to compare prices and services though. Some companies will be much more than others for comparable services and some may not have the requisite experience you'd like for an international move. Make sure to do some basic research about a company's background, history and time worked in the industry.

deepsudeep

Post by deepsudeep » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Considering a move within US can be around 4K this doesn't sound exorbitant.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Why respond to a more than 10 year old post?

deepsudeep

Post by deepsudeep » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:38 am

heretostay wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:42 pm
Why respond to a more than 10 year old post?
Wow just saw that :shock: