What skin care/ cosmetics brands are popular in Finland?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
graceheungheung

Post by graceheungheung » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Hello all,

I am new to this Forum and also to this country. I have just arrived here for 4 months and would like to sell some skin care/ cosmetics online in Finland.

So may I ask which brands names are popular here, I know one of them is Lumene, any other foreign brands like clinqiue, Lancome, Mac, Bobbi Brown etc????

And also, do Finn like Asian skin care products? eg, Japan/ Korean brands such as shiseido, Laneige, Skin Food etc

Look forward to hearing from you all~~

Thanks!

Grace

ps: and Thanks so much for all of your replies~~~~ so nice and helpful place!
Last edited by graceheungheung on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: What skin care/ cosmetics brands are popular in Finland?

Post by inkku » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Shisheido is expensive, but there are some affordable but very good brands in Asia, particularly the Korean ones. Those ones would be great to get online to Finland, but you have to think how to market them.

graceheungheung

Post by graceheungheung » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:29 pm

inkku wrote:Shisheido is expensive, but there are some affordable but very good brands in Asia, particularly the Korean ones. Those ones would be great to get online to Finland, but you have to think how to market them.
Thanks inkuu for your prompt reply! feel grateful!
I come from Hong Kong, and Korean skin products like Laneige, Skin Food etc are popular in Hong Kong. Yes, Shiseido is good but expensive.
Cause I am just wondering do Finn ppl actually would like to try Asian skin care cause I have not seen any Korean prodcucts in local cosmetics shops here, I guess some of the brands like Laneige might not be even heard here?

Marketing, yes, is also an issue to think

anyway thanks so much for your ideas!

inkku

Post by inkku » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:55 pm

you have to get samples out, and people talking about your products on websites like Sonre Plaza Ellit. Make your website etc look very Finnish which would imply reliability.

I think somebody started selling Indian ayurvedic cosmetic (Himalaya?) with quite a good success, there are also sellers of shea butter from Africa for example. So I believe the products you are talking about could sell well if the price level is reasonable.

Aphrodite

Post by Aphrodite » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi,

first: welcome to finland! :)
And than i can say that finnish women normally use Lumene very much. Cause this is their "own" brand, they trust this one.
For myself, i love MAC, NARS, Bobbi Brown, Clinique but also L´oreal, Maybelline..

I think that Finns would also like asian products, but Finns are also very careful - they don´t buy directly new products..

But if your prices would be good, than i´m pretty sure that you have a good chance to sell your skin care products. :)

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Avon, Body Shop and L'Occitane are also present at least in the capital area and southern Finland.

Many skincare products are sold in the supermarkets: L'Oréal, Garnier, Nivea etc (and Finns like getting their fidelity points with their store cards)

The pharmacies (Apteeki) also sell many brands of skin care products like Clarins, Neutrogena etc

But as already said, Lumene is home-grown and very popular.

EP

Post by EP » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Clarins is sold in ordinary cosmetics departments and shops. Pharmacies sell Vichy, Roc, Lierac, Aco...

Another Asian brand on the market (and a little cheaper than Shiseido) is Kanebo.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 pm

I think they sell Kanebo on the ferries, don't they? Sure I've seen it somewhere.

inkku

Post by inkku » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 pm

I would guess very roughly the elderly people tend to buy in shops whereas lots of young people order cosmetics online. If you want to sell online, you should target more that segment.

Some popular internet sites for cosmetics are
strawberry.net and lookfantastic,com and HQhair

the best places to follow the discussion are at least

cosmopolitan
http://www.cosmopolitan.fi/forum/muoti-ja-kauneus/

sonera plaza ellit
http://keskustelu.plaza.fi/ellit/muoti- ... sensuelli/

graceheungheung

Post by graceheungheung » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 pm

inkku wrote:you have to get samples out, and people talking about your products on websites like Sonre Plaza Ellit. Make your website etc look very Finnish which would imply reliability.

I think somebody started selling Indian ayurvedic cosmetic (Himalaya?) with quite a good success, there are also sellers of shea butter from Africa for example. So I believe the products you are talking about could sell well if the price level is reasonable.
Thanks Inkku again!

at the moment I am thinking of putting the products on the Finnish Auction site: I dont remember the finnish name:)
but I am not sure do Finn will buy skin care there?

graceheungheung

Post by graceheungheung » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Aphrodite wrote:Hi,

first: welcome to finland! :)
And than i can say that finnish women normally use Lumene very much. Cause this is their "own" brand, they trust this one.
For myself, i love MAC, NARS, Bobbi Brown, Clinique but also L´oreal, Maybelline..

I think that Finns would also like asian products, but Finns are also very careful - they don´t buy directly new products..

But if your prices would be good, than i´m pretty sure that you have a good chance to sell your skin care products. :)
Thanks Aphrodite!

Lumene is quite popular cause usually many ppl gather around thier counters as I observe~~~~~~~~~~but I have sent a wholesale enquiry to Lumene b4 and they did not reply me, guess is not legal to put their products online to sell here~~~~~

your ideas are very helpful to me! because I am new to Finland and not sure about the culture here:)

I would like to try putting some of the products in the Finnish Auction suite, not sure will this work?????????????????????????????????????

graceheungheung

Post by graceheungheung » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:00 pm

penelope wrote:Avon, Body Shop and L'Occitane are also present at least in the capital area and southern Finland.

Many skincare products are sold in the supermarkets: L'Oréal, Garnier, Nivea etc (and Finns like getting their fidelity points with their store cards)

The pharmacies (Apteeki) also sell many brands of skin care products like Clarins, Neutrogena etc

But as already said, Lumene is home-grown and very popular.

Thanks Penelope!!!

feel grateful!!!!!!! Clarins are very expensive here, I saw one 5 ml tube which cost 15 here~~~~~~

graceheungheung

Post by graceheungheung » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:02 pm

EP wrote:Clarins is sold in ordinary cosmetics departments and shops. Pharmacies sell Vichy, Roc, Lierac, Aco...

Another Asian brand on the market (and a little cheaper than Shiseido) is Kanebo.

O thanks EP!!!

you have Kanebo here as well????? cause in Hong Kong Kanebo is that kind of mid- quality skin care in our eyes, affordable, are they expensive here?

graceheungheung

Post by graceheungheung » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:04 pm

penelope wrote:I think they sell Kanebo on the ferries, don't they? Sure I've seen it somewhere.

Do you mean those go to sweden ?????? I have been once with my boyfriend there, I bought one clinique there but could not see any asian products, but clinique is almost 8 E cheaper than in the shop on the land, I am surprised~~~~

graceheungheung

Post by graceheungheung » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm

inkku wrote:I would guess very roughly the elderly people tend to buy in shops whereas lots of young people order cosmetics online. If you want to sell online, you should target more that segment.

Some popular internet sites for cosmetics are
strawberry.net and lookfantastic,com and HQhair

the best places to follow the discussion are at least

cosmopolitan
http://www.cosmopolitan.fi/forum/muoti-ja-kauneus/

sonera plaza ellit
http://keskustelu.plaza.fi/ellit/muoti- ... sensuelli/

Wow, I will go and check these out! Thank you~~